Passports versus Identity Cards

Paddy 00:04 12 Jul 09

With the anouncement of an increase in the price of passports (now £77) and the disbandment of compulsary ID cards, the government have said that ID cards can be voluntarily purchased at approx £30 (this price has not been confirmed).

Can we hope then that the airlines, that insist on the stupid habit of demanding a passport to take internal flights, will accept a official ID card as proof of identity.

This will enable the many people who do not have, or need, a passport to have a £30 ID card enabling them to make internal flights.
PM

Quickbeam 00:07 12 Jul 09

Isn't a valid ID acceptable for EU travel?

Every internal flight I have used has accepted pretty much any form of official photographic ID.

Forum Editor 09:26 12 Jul 09

for internal flights, so I can only speak for them. They'll accept any of the following forms of ID:-

UK Driving Licence.
Executive Club membership card.
E-ticket access card.
Passport
National ID card.
Company identification card or document.

There's no legal requirement for a passport on an internal flight, but some airlines might insist on seeing one - it's up to them.

Quickbeam 10:23 12 Jul 09

But am I right in thinking an EU identity card is OK for internal EU travel, and will airlines accept it, or do they insist on a full worldwide passport?

lofty29 20:38 12 Jul 09

Quickbeam
To travel to and from the UK you MUST have a valid passport.
I have flown within the UK on my pensioners bus pass including to EIRE, but there is some suggestion that travel to EIRE in the future may require a passport, which is daft seeing as you do not need one to travel from NI to there.

Noldi 17:47 13 Jul 09

FE

"They'll accept any of the following forms of ID:-"
What you are saying is ID but surly you also need a passport. I thought it was the airlines responsibility to make sure your passport is valid before you travel because they can be fined for basically delivering a passenger without all the correct documents in place.

I stand to be corrected.

I travelled by car through 3 different European countries at the weekend (not all EU) and didn’t get to show my passport once.

Noldi

laurie53 20:40 13 Jul 09

When I lived on the mainland (for seven years) it was always a source of amusement that you could criss cross half a dozen countries in a day and all you would ever be asked to do was slow down to 70 k (40 mph) if you went through a border using an international motorway.

It was not until you got to Dover/Felixstowe/Harwich that the interminable queuing and questioning would start.

DieSse 21:18 13 Jul 09

"I travelled by car through 3 different European countries at the weekend (not all EU) and didn’t get to show my passport once."

If the countries are all part of the Schengen Agreement - then you wouldn't need to.

Now isn't that just sensible - open borders except at the periphery of the Schengen area. No hassle, just go where you like.

click here

newman35 07:20 14 Jul 09

"What you are saying is ID but surly you also need a passport."

FE had said "internal" flights, and not all airlines insist on passports for this.

"I stand to be corrected" - you have. (;-)

Noldi 11:24 14 Jul 09

Thanks I missed the most important word in this whole post “INTERNAL” and I will be internally grateful for your correction.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…