Parking half on the pavement

Graham. 20:12 02 Jun 08

Teenagers visiting my neighbour's lad drive onto my dropped kerb to park half on the pavement. There's no need to do this, it's a quiet cul-de-sac, wide road and usually no other parked vehicles. I suspect they do it so they don't have to judge parking against the kerb.

It annoys me when they swoop up the road, especially if my cat is on the pavement.

So the queation is, is it illegal or unlawful?

csqwared 20:18 02 Jun 08

As far as I am aware it's neither, in fact in the cul-de-sac where I live the council have purposely lowered the kerb height to allow cars to p[ark on the footway, although, to be fair, it is a narrow road. As a general rule, footway parking will be ignored unless it causes an obstruction, the usual ctiteria being 'will a pushchair go past. I must admit, it is one of my pet hates.

csqwared 20:19 02 Jun 08

park not p[rk - tryping error.

VCR97 20:20 02 Jun 08

It's illegal. Everyone in my road had a letter from the local police threatening action against anyone who continued to obstruct the pavement.

sean-278262 20:21 02 Jun 08

Legality wise it is illegal to park on the pavement, however it really depends on how the local police would take the issue. It is also an offense to cause an obstruction of a road so it would have to be ballanced against this.

Sadly these "toy racers" love expensive alloys on their little saxo or whatever so dont want to scratch them learning to park.

If it annoys you speak to the neighbouring teens parents and say it concerns you that they may one day cause an accident with a child due to their childs friends behaviour and that you are not wanting to cause an arguement and just ensuring that your quiet cul de sac remains safe.

A

octal 20:23 02 Jun 08

Unless otherwise marked to the contrary it is illegal to park on the pavement, if you do so in our borough you'll end up with a parking ticket.

Quickbeam 20:23 02 Jun 08

They should have the half of their car on the pavement cut off...

Graham. 20:23 02 Jun 08

My neighbour is a Police Inspector, I will see if it is repeated now I've voiced my annoyance.

MAT ALAN 20:24 02 Jun 08

click here

243/244 cover this issue...

Totally-braindead 20:24 02 Jun 08

What about those that are unable to park near the kerb and park in the road about 2 feet away? A nightmare on a narrow road.

I am given to believe that this is now a crime and if you are not parked within a certain distance of the kerb - maybe 18" I am unsure - you can be fined.

I see cars abandoned, this is what I call it as its obvious to me that they are not fit to be on the road as they cannot park, the drivers seem to have a "thats close enough attitude" and it really annoys me. Especially since I have seen non of these so called drivers being charged with anything.

peter99co 20:25 02 Jun 08

A council near me has painted broken lines along the road indicating parking areas. It is half the width of a car, so the pavement is used to keep your car inside the lines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5