PARK & RIDE

Condom 15:13 22 Oct 08

At our local Park & Ride services you can park all day for free and only pay £1.20 for a return ticket to town on a wonderful warm clean bus. Great you think unless your a local. If you walk to the Park & Ride saving the planet from needless use of petrol you have to pay £2.40 for a return ticket as your not using Park & Ride but only Ride. They even have a special machine which dispenses special cards to car owners to show the driver of the bus that they came by car. Sometimes car drivers have to wait in the queue of foot passengers using the machine as people are not so daft.

Personally I don't see the logic as there are no alternative bus services to suffer loss of income but no doubt we have some town planners who venture on to this site who can enlighten me. Does anyone else have such stupid local regulations

natdoor 16:41 22 Oct 08

I am not a local transport planner and, based on what goes on locally to me, I would be very ashamed if I were.

I suspect that local businesses may contribute towards the cost of the Park and Ride in the hope that it will make the town a more accessible place to visit to those who live some way away. This would be good for business.

The purpose is to discourage cars from entering the town centre. Pedestrians turning up for the Ride are presumably assumed to be not going to clog the town centre with traffic and therefore do not need a cost incentive to use the facility. And they would presumably shop in the town anyway, since they live so close to it. Charging them more would also help to keep the service more available to those for whom it as intended. However, the overall result is somewhat bizarre.

spuds 16:42 22 Oct 08

Its all to do with government guidelines and subsidy payments. The government want the public to use motor vehicles less, then at the same time they want to confuse the issue.

the hick 17:15 22 Oct 08

Park & Ride schemes are often heavily subsidised. Where I live, 2 miles from town centre, is £3.60 return on bus. 5 miles further out of town, its £2.90 for days parking, and up to 5 passengers return trips. And they have an indoor, heated waiting area! So, we now drive extra 10 miles to get to town! I think this is fairly typical for these schemes.

Woolwell 17:44 22 Oct 08

Park & Ride is great as far as I am concerned. I have one just over a mile away and as I have a bus pass it is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…