Parent Companies

laurie53 09:00 11 Nov 08

Having discovered via another thread that many of our sausages are all made by the same company, and knowing that much of our processed food is made by just a few multi-nationals I wondered if there is any website where you can just enter the name of a product/ manufacturer (not just food, most cookers come from the same stable) and get the name of the parent company?

I know I can go to Companies House and do a trawl, but I was looking for an instant reference site

Quickbeam 09:23 11 Nov 08

Support you're local trade, shop locally, for locally made products, in your local shop, for locals only... but there is a premium cost attached to this philosophy.

lofty29 10:10 11 Nov 08

You would have considerable difficulty doing this, because there is not only the parent company situation but also the sub-contractor to consider, for example I used to work for C&B which was owned at one time by Nestle, but we also made "Own Label" products for Tesco, Sainsburys, Co-op, Fine Fare,ECT.I think you will find that the vast majority of electical and electornic goods nowadays are sub-contacted to the far east and "badged" to europeon companies such as phillips etc.
Quickbeam
You can only have a limted product in the local range, manily fresh produce, butchery, bakery,greengrocery.

spuds 10:26 11 Nov 08

The problem in trying to find a 'one location' link, is the fact that some 'parent companies' like to hide this fact due to re-badging contractual agreements.There is at least one major player, who sources similar products from at least three manufacturers. The only difference that the public notices, is the product model number, and perhaps a slight cosmetic change.Lexmark and Dell spring to mind!.

Many years ago, I worked for an organisation that was 'hidden' among an whole host of other companies and establishments.

I have a friend and neighbour who runs a food processing factory. All the items they produce ends up in the major supermarkets and trade warehouses, usually with 'own brand' name labels. They also supply under their own well recognised brand label, as alternatives. Nothing like being an independent food tester, when new products are being 'tested' for a selective world-wide market ;o)

oresome 12:54 11 Nov 08

I don't know of one site, but Premier Foods certainly own many well known brands

click here

spuds 14:42 11 Nov 08

Doe's anyone remember those full page combined adverts a few years ago, regarding recalls by all the major supermarkets and trade outlets for certain 'own brand' and 'branded' goods?.

sunnystaines 16:30 11 Nov 08

no way would i eat processed meat these days.

laurie53 19:29 11 Nov 08

Thanks for the responses.

dagnammit 21:27 11 Nov 08

I'll try any brand of foodstuffs.

If it's a cheap brand name product I haven't used before I'll read the ingredients list and judge it against the more expensive one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…