Pardon my ignorance,

Macscouse 00:02 AM 11 Feb 13

as I am no gardener, but today, whilst travelling in the hills behind Nairn, I saw a foxglove in full bloom. It was at the side of a road about 200m above sea level, in a mature woodland area. The temperature in the area has not been above 5C for a long time. Before Grandad asks, No, I hadn't been on the hard stuff. Is it normal for these flowers to bloom so early? PS also saw a beautiful stoat in ermine strolling along a road.

Forum Editor 01:02 AM 11 Feb 13

"Is it normal for these flowers to bloom so early?"

It certainly isn't as far as I'm aware. I have foxgloves in the garden, and the earliest I can remember them flowering is around the middle of May.

wiz-king 08:31 AM 11 Feb 13

Perhaps the local trolls have central heating.

fourm member 08:45 AM 11 Feb 13

Normal? No.

Possible? Yes.

There may be very local circumstances that caused this plant to flower. It may have been in danger of some sort. Plants exist to reproduce so, if they 'feel' threatened, they will sometimes rush to try and produce seed. I've seen a giant hogweed flower when only about a foot high because it was getting late in the season.

If you saw this from a road, it might be that the verge it was on was cut last year preventing it from flowering and it has taken the lengthening days as its chance to get into flower.

Brumas 09:31 AM 11 Feb 13

Macscouse, ah, you found that plastic foxglove bodyguard, I carefully placed it there last year when I saw them being threatened by a determined wave of bull-rushes ;o}}

Macscouse 10:31 AM 11 Feb 13

FM Seems reasonable, the council hedge masher was around there recently, carefully pruning any hedge, branch, fence post, or tree trunk less than 2 feet in circumference. The area always looks like a war zone after their visits.

Brumas, your scientifically reasoned response seems to be slightly awry; it does seem to be some form of bull, but rushes is not the word I would use ;-)

Bing.alau 13:47 PM 11 Feb 13

Do you have any witnesses that you hadn't been on the juice?

Brumas 14:01 PM 11 Feb 13

Macscouse Guilty as charged M'Lud ;o}

Macscouse 15:22 PM 11 Feb 13

Bing.alau Only the LHO and the two pink effelumps in the back seats.

Bing.alau 16:54 PM 11 Feb 13

Two not very reliable then?

lotvic 17:23 PM 11 Feb 13

Foxes wearing gloves, stoats wearing fancy Royal fur coats, it'll be the cat among the pigeons next.. this thread is going to the dogs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know