Paper spam

WhiteTruckMan 16:12 08 Jul 06

These days I get very little electronic spam. However I have noticed an annoying increase in the amount of unwanted paper being shoved through my letterbox. Its not mailing companies that are the culprits-I know I can get my name removed from their lists. its the local hand delivered stuff from (usually) local fast food outfits, but they are by no means the only culprits. Last month I had at least one leaflet every day. Thats every single day, including sundays. Without exception they go in the paper recycling bin. Thankfully they dont have my name on, or I would have to add them to the pile to be sorted/shredded at the end of the month that has any personally identifiable information on them.

Is anyone else getting their letterbox spammed these days? Or am I just turning into a grumpy old git? (If I am then its about time-Ive been waiting long enough for it!)

WTM :-)

SG Atlantis® 16:33 08 Jul 06

As a fast food fan I love getting new leaflets to try out new places (don't even bother calling me a lard ass, I'm not!!!) lol.

Other spam, collect it up put it in a big envelope and post it back, had a few customers tell me that when I was a postie!

Starfox 16:49 08 Jul 06

It's our local free paper that's full of the stuff. As if the rubbish written in the paper wasn't bad enough it now comes with at least 20 to 25 separate leaflets. I asked the chap who delivers it to put mine straight into our green bin to save me the effort but I don't think he was amused. :0)

rezeeg 17:39 08 Jul 06

Used to hate it, but now it means I can fill-up the green bin - and that makes me feel good :-))

Jimmy14 20:23 08 Jul 06

I might start posting it back to them.

ade.h 20:44 08 Jul 06

Starfox and WTM - absolutely, same problems around here! It has got a lot worse in the last year.

SG - you should eat healthier! LOL.

Curio 22:06 08 Jul 06

Earlier this week had 5 circulars delivered by the postman. None of it addressed, all binned for recycling. Had no 'proper' mail that day

SG Atlantis® 22:22 08 Jul 06

door2doors.

Royal Mail does deals with the publishers of the leaflets to deliver them to the whole area. The postie gets paid extra for delivering to every door on his walk, from 1p each to 3p each depending on size/weight.

Can add a fair bit to their wage, taking it up an extra 25%, give or take, before tax.

josie mayhem 22:25 08 Jul 06

In one way I'm lucky living in a flat that has phone entery security and only being 8 flats, then we tend to know friend from foal so to speak... so they don't get in, nor does bible basher either....

But somedays I do feel sorry for the postman, when I recieved half a dozen circulars knowing that my neighbours also recieved the same.

Just imagine if all spam was stop going through the post office, there would be less mail to sort and deliveries would become more effiecent, next day deliveries no problems....

SG Atlantis® 22:33 08 Jul 06

"tend to know friend from foal so to speak" can ya hear them neighing from up the path?

WhiteTruckMan 23:33 08 Jul 06

I have with this is the sheer waste, in time money, resources and energy to produce this pap, and pert of it is the same (applied to me) in sorting and correctly disposing of it. For example, I dont want to simply bin it, but would rather recycle. however I have been told not to recycle envelopes with clear windows in them as they are plastic and shouldnt be mixed with paper. Also I have to scruitinise everything for anything personally identifiable and shred it first. All of which is time consuming. My time. But short of sealing my letterbox I dont know what to do. Which reminds me, nothing is ever shoved all the way through the letterbox. this means the flap(s) are left open with the subsequent loss of heat in the house in winter.

Grrrr....

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…