Paper-less billing?

Sir Radfordin 20:37 07 Feb 06

Paper-less billing is being given as an option by more and more suppliers. At face value this seems like a great idea however there seems to me to be one flaw. When you want to open a new bank account, apply for a loan, prove who you are you nearly always need a bill dated in the last 3 months. If all your bills are online how are you going to achieve this?

For this reason I've opted for my banks to continue sending me statemements but stopped most other bills. What are other people doing?

Forum Editor 20:42 07 Feb 06

for quite a while now - I don't provide any paper bills at all.

My BT phone bill has also been online for a while, as has all my banking, although my bank won't stop sending me mountains of paper.

I'm all for paperless billing, it's good for my filing system and good for trees.

ade.h 20:50 07 Feb 06

"...it's good for my filing system and good for trees".

It is indeed! Which is why I love the lack of paper bills.

However, it does create the problem that Sir Rad describes, as I often still find.

anskyber 20:58 07 Feb 06

Paperless if I can get it, sometimes utilities companies will even give a discount for doing it that way. But I have had problems when moving house to prove who I am! Fortunately my credit Card Co and the good old local Council will not do paperless.

anskyber 21:00 07 Feb 06

HSBC will, its an option to go paperless. They even keep up to 10 years statements available.

watchful 21:16 07 Feb 06

At the moment it is just an option as there are still lots of people without computers. I bank online but still receive paper statements and utility bills as I don't deal online with those.

jaritch 21:25 07 Feb 06

Sir Radfordin

Will they not accept a print-out of your statements when applying for loans or whatever? Just a thought

jaritch 21:26 07 Feb 06

*statements* should read *bills*

ade.h 21:40 07 Feb 06

Answer: no, not usually. In my experience, companies and organisations demand original documents rather than print-outs or photocopies. The fact that a decent bank login system tends to be more secure than a humble postal system has completely escaped them.

watchful 08:27 08 Feb 06

That is also my experience. Original documents are required, especially by government agencies.

oresome 19:34 08 Feb 06

The last two or three bank accounts I've opened via the internet (I'm a rate tart) have overcome the money laundering / proof of identity requirements by tying the new account to an existing current account I hold with another bank.

No further proofs were asked for.

Only snag is that money in or out of the new accounts has to go via the current account.

Moving money around for the odd half percent loses its benefit when it takes around 8 days to get from one deposit account to another with the resultant loss of interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5