Pacemakers in the Marathon

premier man 10:37 25 Apr 10

I have just switched on my TV to the Marathon to see they have Pacemakers for the Marathon, its ridiculous, what a farce ,
Surely the Runners have enough intelligence to work out there own pace and timing over 26 miles without paying Thousands of Pound to bring in Pacemakers.
Its getting ridiculous||| I am against Pacemakers in all Athletic
sports

premier man 10:58 25 Apr 10

I must agree I haven't watched it either for many years,it got too monotonous.

Quickbeam 11:02 25 Apr 10

It's all part of the tactics for professional athletics. The days of being a world class amateur athlete in the old AAA is long gone.

If we still had that ethos, we'd have no world class athletes at all.

Forum Editor 11:30 25 Apr 10

what started as a charity run for the masses has been hijacked by professionals to a large extent, and I suppose it was inevitable.

I used to go down to watch it, but I can't even summon up the enthusiasm to watch on TV now, even though a member of my family is one of today's participant. His wife and children are there, and I'll get some footage of him from them later - that will do me.

Quickbeam 12:22 25 Apr 10

That's a bit strong, as the world class professional event that it's become, as well as still successfully retaining the charity fun run element, it's a huge success story for all concerned.

Forum Editor 13:40 25 Apr 10

that it's become"

Well yes,and perhaps I was being a little harsh when I used the word 'hijacked' - let me retract that statement.

What I meant was that I feel the event has lost a little as each year the media seem to have concentrated less on the fun run aspect, and more on the 'world-class professional event'as you call it. I'm not for a moment criticising the organisation, or the fact that huge amounts are collected for charity each year (£41 million last time is one estimate I heard). My criticism is reserved for an apparent fall off in the 'fun' side of things.

I was at the very first London Marathon in 1981. It was raining, but the fact that everyone was having fun was self-evident. The two front-runners crossed the finishing line holding hands, and the feeling of sportsmanship was everywhere. The last time I went was four years ago, and I had none of the same feeling - things were quite obviously and primarily focused on the professional runners.

I'm sure the event is a huge success financially, and I'm sure that the majority doesn't share my feeling of slight regret. Just one of those things, I suppose.

sunnystaines 13:45 25 Apr 10

it is wrong that locals trying to raise money for charity are turned down because of limited numbers while prof athletes from abroad can use it as a training run.

agree pacemakers should be scrapped, as they let the following runners slipstream against the wind.

jakimo 14:13 25 Apr 10

The London Marathon is a very big business event, £150,000 was spent on getting top runners to the event alone,plus $295000 in place money plus time money bonuses.

Then theres all the advertising deals,the food franchises,the event organizers,and most importantly the money raised for charities.

There may not be any figures published,but I bet everyone taking part regard it as a very successful event.

click here

sunnystaines 14:19 25 Apr 10

why are they paying them I thought these were amateur athletes?

have the runners donated this money to any of the charities?

morddwyd 15:10 25 Apr 10

"I thought these were amateur athletes?"

Are there still such beings at the top level, in any sport?

onthelimit 15:41 25 Apr 10

I thought my old mate may be able to take part; he had a pacemaker fitted a couple of years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…