P3P

zarobian 06:49 18 Sep 08

I have a read a report about P3P which could be used for keeping an eye on your web browsing or exploited by rogue individuals for other purposes. Could it be used to place some undesirable material on your computer without your knowledge?
I think even Microsoft is using this channel to collect information, though they deny this and advocate the privacy of the users. Microsoft may be using it for the right reasons.
Can somebody throw some light on the subject and is it safe to delete the history sub folders in the registry under P3P or just get rid of P3P altogether by deleting it?

GANDALF <|:-)> 06:57 18 Sep 08

Utter paranoid rubbish. Why would anyone be even remotely interested in what is on your computer? Your info on your computer may be important to you bu, like mine, it is utter drivel to anyone else. Your web browsing is already monitored and stored by your ISP even if you use 'anonymous' browsers and even if you do not accept cookies. The web is an open, free resource so all your meanderings are recorded and if you do not like it or you think that you are so important that companies need to know all about you...do not use the Internet.
Just forget about it, use the net to further your knowledge and get on with the important things in life.

G

zarobian 07:27 18 Sep 08

How would you explain the following entries under P3P:
1-britney-spears-nude.com;
1sexparty.com
and so on. Who on the first place put these keys in the registry.
Why don't you check your computer if you have such entries in the registry.
I just wanted to know the purpose of these.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:54 18 Sep 08

1) I would check who is using the computer.
2) I would run malwarebytes anti-malware from click here, update and do a deep scan.

G

zarobian 08:12 18 Sep 08

Thanks for the link. I am the only user and I have never been to such sites. It was brought to my notice by one of my friend who got such entries. So this morning I checked my computer and to my surprise it was the same as his. I therefore google P3P and got the adverse report.
Thanks for your trouble in replying so early in the morning.

'Z'

beynac 08:36 18 Sep 08

I have no such entries on my computer.

Just a guess, but it could be one of your protection programs blocking these sites using these entries.

interzone55 12:36 18 Sep 08

Those look like 3rd party cookies.

If you alight on a dubious site - such as clicking the wrong link in a google search - every advert on the site will drop a cookie into your browser.

Running ccleaner and taking a look at the cookies that show up is very interesting. PCA drops about 4 or 5 cookies into my browser...

gudgulf 13:08 18 Sep 08

Do you use Spybot S&D and/or SpywareBlaster?

If you do then the P3P history location in the registry is where they put their immunization entries.

See click here

Other antimalware programs that offer immunizataion against malware will probably do the same.

My own P3P history list is huge.....all due to the above programs.

zarobian 06:59 19 Sep 08

Thanks for the info and your link.All members comments are very educating. So I was not the only one who just got a little confused about it due o the lack of knowledge about immunization entries. Thank you all.

'Z'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…