p2p debate

Jak_1 16:07 25 Mar 05

Is p2p right or is it wrong. Legaly the programs are fine but pirating is ilegal. P2P is file sharing per se and one has to use it with caution! Viruses, trojans abound out there. But, so does a lot of useful stuff.

Copyright is sacrosanct, as a part time freelance photographer I know only too well. With music the artist only get's a miniscule amount from sales compared to what the company ie. the producers get from sales. Same goes for movies.

My own thoughts are that it is the greed of major companies who only see £/$ signs that are the problem and that Cd's and Dvd's are overpriced leading to piracy in the first place.

Also you have the other side, those who have bought vinyl/vhs (many years ago)versions of music and films and wish to have an mp3/dvd
so they can play/view on their pc/dvd players.

Why should you:

a) Have to pay twice just for diff formats of the same thing.
b) Have to pay the earth for it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 25 Mar 05

This has been discussed on many occassions......copying or distributing copyrighted material is illegal, it does not matter if you think this is right or wrong it is still illegal and no amount of arguing will change it. I find that those that cannot understand this simple thing have never had any of their own copyrights to worry about. End of argument.

G

Jak_1 17:26 25 Mar 05

Yes but are the rules right or just loaded in favour of the big company's?

Because something is legal/illegal does no mean to say it is right. Hence the point of my debate.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 18:20 25 Mar 05

Good point!

A) Life is a scammer

B)I don't understand your question

Forum Editor 18:50 25 Mar 05

we've debated this on many occasions - he and I have certainly been involved in discussions on the same subject here, in the forum, for over three years.

My own view is that there's nothing new to say - original works are protected by copyright from the moment of their creation, the copyright is vested in the originator of the work, and it's illegal to copy, distribute, download, or otherwise infringe the copyright without the consent of the owner. It's a simple as that really - you can talk about changes in the law until the cows come home, but copyright is recognised throughout the world as a good system. Until anyone comes up with something better (and there's no sign of it, despite many people thinking about it for many years) we're all bound by the law of copyright.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 19:03 25 Mar 05

Good to see you here.

Its our favourite topic isn't it?

Jak_1 19:57 25 Mar 05

I agree forum editor but, like myself I have (being ancient!) many tracks of music on vinyl and now no way to listen as I have no record player. Other than buying all again, some not now available on modern media, mp3 is the only option open. I have paid once so why should I pay a second time just because I can no longer play the original.

I understand original copyright, more so as I do as a hoby freelance photography. It is important that the true owner of works get's their full dues and recognition. To me that is not the issue as I only desire to replace what is now unplayable to me and I payed in cash for that the first time round. Hence my reason for debate on the merits of p2p.

I neither sell nor burn on to disk for profit but purely so I can listen to music that is at the moment sitting in racks gathering dust. I would like to buy a new stereo with a turntable but other things eat my cash.

I do not condone denying payment to originators/owners of work their dues in any way. I still do by cd's/dvd's when I can afford them and will continue to.

I suppose this is not new but this argument started with reel to reel tape recorders and then with cassette recorders.

Forum Editor 20:31 25 Mar 05

so why should I pay a second time just because I can no longer play the original(?)"

Because the copyright owner has no way of knowing, Jak_1. A million people could say "Oh dear, I bought a Vinyl Elvis LP, but now I don't have a record player, so I'll just fire up my computer and steal a fresh copy". It doesn't work that way, Jak_1. When you bought the LP you bought the right to play it as many times as you liked, you didn't buy an automatic right to copies of the music in whatever medium you fancy, ad infinitum. It's a licence to play a specific copy that you buy, not the music itself.

"I would like to buy a new stereo with a turntable but other things eat my cash"

Well I'm sorry, but that's hardly the fault of the copyright owners is it?

josie mayhem 20:39 25 Mar 05

One court case I would like to see, if a company like sony sueing some-one for ilegaly copying one of there artist records. Then being countered sued for aiding and abetting the person to copy that record.

Because could sony be concidered as aiding and abetting, when you think about it, they do produce the kit that enable us to copy.

2 years ago I brought my husband a sony cd player, which could read cd-rw and also play mp3. Included in the package was software that enable you to copy dozens of cd's onto one cd, I think it was something like 20 all in tow.

So were do I stand, the law says that I can't brake copyright, but if I use this peice of software that sony gave to me to use on there walkman, then I've broken the law.

So surely if I do make up one a disk of albums using the software they gave me, then they've not only encouraged me to brake the law, but have aided and abetted as well. As I wouldn't have done it wth out there help?

The Spires 21:30 25 Mar 05

I do fail to see the difference between burning onto DVD every episode of Star Trek via Sky or BBC2 onto a non Pc DVD burner which no one has a problem with (on here at least). And then to copy onto via hiring or borrowing the DVD collection, the outcome is the same, yet one is frowned upon the other is not. This causes in my view 90% the population having no idea what is legal and what is not.

Copying off VHS onto home DVD burner ones collection of old films seems ok too, yet regardless of quality, an item is either copyrighted or not, you can't move the goalposts around when you wish to.

Sony as I see it are a case of wanting the cake & eating it too, they own Columbia records, yet will sell you a Cd (or DVD Burner) burner & the blank Cd’s (DVD’s) to burn onto & in the past have sold Cd players which will cut an album into 45 minute segments to fit onto a C90 cassette, and sell you the cassette to copy it onto. Conflicting signals are being sent & have always been sent. That's my view.

ahales42 22:33 25 Mar 05

I`ve always found it strange that record/film companies will sell you the hardware and software to copy cd`s/dvd`s, and then tell you that if you use it, it`s illegal. However. Now you can legally download it all by paying for it. So no need to buy another cd/dvd again. I`m sure virgin,HMV etc, are just loving this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…