An oversight in forwarding emails

TopCat® 14:12 24 Mar 08

I have often received forwarded emails from friends and members of our family and another one arrived this morning. Nothing wrong in that, you might think, but this message contained a list of about forty active email addresses, starting with the message's originator. It amazes me that no one seems to take the time to remove these before forwarding, something I make sure I do myself. Not doing so leaves it wide open for some unscrupulous recipient along the line to gather and sell these addresses on, thereby adding more spam to these peoples' inboxes. TC.

Quickbeam 14:23 24 Mar 08

that the software doesn't do it automatically... It shouldn't be hard to have that built in as a security feature?

jack 14:25 24 Mar 08

I know I get 'em, too and I tell 'em but they still do it.

I suspect many of the folk that do this sort of thing know not how to or much care- they know only the forward button.

WhiteTruckMan 14:27 24 Mar 08

In Mrs WTM's professional dealings, but I've given up trying to do anything about it.

King Canute had it easy...

WTM

TopCat® 14:29 24 Mar 08

I forgot to add that people could use the Bcc option available from View/All headers in OE but most don't. This hides the recipients' addresses, I believe. TC.

jack 14:29 24 Mar 08

Composing a mail on the lines of
" The dangers of ding this and the fact they are doing their friends no favour in doing so -etc.,
Then copying off all those addresses and BCC-ing them back.

They still do it.

Bingalau 15:03 24 Mar 08

I mailed all of the people in my address book and told them how to use the Bcc: window. I'm happy to say that it worked on about 80% of them as I no longer get the list of addresses that I used to. I still spend many a happy time deleting and cleaning up lots of other bits that are added as they circulate before getting to me.

Bingalau 15:11 24 Mar 08

Try forwarding this tip to your friends...

click here

pj123 19:25 24 Mar 08

TopCat®, I always remove all previous addresses before forwarding it on.

I made a comment on a similar previous thread some time ago about this subject.

I could harvest hundreds of email addresses and sell them on to all the spammers.

A friend who is on AOL tells me that he cannot remove email addresses on forwarded messages if he wants to forward them again?

Is that true?

TopCat® 00:10 25 Mar 08

In Outlook Express, I simply highlight and copy the parts of the original email I want to forward into a New Message, adding subject, address(s) and any further text I want. Then I delete the original email. TC.

User-1235809 07:12 25 Mar 08

That method works very well for text TopCat, but wouldn't include the pictures which are in lots of forwarded e mails, particularly jokes which are the main ones forwarded to dozens of recipients.

I once went to great lengths to describe how to remove names when a friend of mine first got a computer, but she just stopped sending me them after that. hey ho

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009