overpopulation

User-994545 15:23 02 Apr 07

with the worlds population due to rise from 6,billion,to 9 billion by the year 2099.plus the increased expectations of the asian "tiger" ecconomies.what makes the peddle pushing politians,of the major parties think that anything we do to slow global warming will make a dam bit of difference.without tackling the root cause GLOBAL OVERPOPULATION

Cymro. 16:11 02 Apr 07

You may well have a point, but with the Catholic

churches policy on birth control it will be very

difficult for any politician to do very much about

the problem. Mind you the catholic church may help

matters with the way its policy has helped spread the Aids epidemic.

User-994545 16:58 02 Apr 07

yes we can be thakful 4 the teachings of catholacisam,and on the other side of the argument,why is so much money given to Red nose day.Oxfam ect which can only worsen the long term problem.

Jak_1 17:09 02 Apr 07

Overpopulation is a bit of a misnomer, it all depends upon where you are in the world. India, China... Both are of high population but at the same time intrinsically better off than the starving people in the drought areas of Africa where the population is lower.
I will not be drawn into the subject of the Catholic Churches role in things as I do not believe that is a subject for discussion here.
Cymro, it does not help making light of a very debillitating condition and is disrespectful for those who suffer from it.
I have no problem with either Oxfam or 'Red Nose Day' as they help people all over the world and that can only be good.

Cymro. 17:18 02 Apr 07

You say jak_1
"it does not help making light of a very debilitating

condition and is disrespectful for who suffer from it".

I am not making light of the mater just stating what I believe to be a fact.

Forum Editor 18:15 02 Apr 07

but do so positively - don't go looking for nations/religions to blame. We're not going down the road of attaching blame to religious doctrines, and any references along those lines will be deleted.

Forum Editor 18:20 02 Apr 07

by saying it's OK to discuss/criticise national birth control policies, but keep away from religion.

TOPCAT® 23:54 02 Apr 07

my estimation is going to be the acute shortage of water to satisfy the demands of a rapidly rising population. Already, many major rivers of this world have dams constructed along them, together with inefficient bankside irrigation systems that further deplete their flow. So much so that way downstream these once plentiful rivers have slowed to a mere trickle in some lands.

A scientific team from the UN has compiled a recent report on several regions in just the Middle East where water shortage is acute, and have discovered there is a tremendous loss of water from poor irrigation methods. For countless years the crops have been inundated each day as and when the farmers desired and not when the plants actually needed it.

The situation is so severe in these places that steps are being taken to teach the farmers better water management. Old habits and customs die hard, it's said, but hopefully these farmers will co-operate. TC.

g0slp 06:45 03 Apr 07

It's been argued for several years now that there will be major wars fought over fresh water rights. I think that this is, regrettably, going to happen.

Kate B 09:28 03 Apr 07

g0slp, why do you say that? It's an interesting hypothesis but I don't see any evidence at all of that happening at present.

Cymro. 11:49 03 Apr 07

You say
"it's OK to discuss/criticise national birth control policies, but keep away from religion."

Some national birth control policies are dominated by religion so rather

difficult to discuss them without bringing religion in to it.

But I will take your advise and say no more etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…