Overpaid benefit -please pay it tback

jack 20:01 27 Jan 09

This is the gist of a letter from the DWP to my daughter who receives disability benefit.
Well OK they can make mistakes and it is right it should be returned.
The amount asked was however is the mistake or joke
£10004.70 thats right ten thousand and four pounds.70p
She is of course going to the benefit Office and the CAB.
But as her sole income is what the DWP pay her they have no chance of getting that back or even I venture a tenth of it.

oresome 20:35 27 Jan 09

As the DWP hold the purse strings, they have every opportunity to get any overpaid monies back.

I would expect some explanation of how the overpayment was miscalculated and for how long it's been paid. If it's been going on for years and recovery of the entire overpayment will cause hardship, I don't think there's a realistic prospect that they'll be able to recover it all.

Equally, as you say, the sum mentioned in the letter could be a mistake. Either way, it's upsetting for your daughter until it's resolved and not something you'd expect to be hit with out of the blue via a letter in the post.

A phone call from someone at the benefits office to clarify things with your daughter would have been a better first approach considering the potential sum involved I'd have thought.

I hope she gets it resolved soon and doesn't have sleepless nights.

spuds 00:26 28 Jan 09

These sort of things should be dealt with immediately, because they usually come back with vengeance at a later stage if not resolved.

MP's can usually provide help on these matters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…