ovens and their proximity to other things

spmilligan 16:18 23 Apr 07

Hello all,
I know there are a lot of knowledgable people out there, so i thought i would ask here. My financial advisor (the wife)has asked me to move kitchen bits around and install a new freestanding oven, so I was wondering, is there minimum distances or other regs governing its position due to heat transfer etc. I know it cant go next to the fridge/freezer, but not about other things.
I have googled it but cant find anything specific.
Thanks very much.

Kate B 16:24 23 Apr 07

I'd ask your local council - there might be something in building regs about it.

Forum Editor 16:41 23 Apr 07

governing placement, other than the fact that there must be a clear ventilation space at the rear of all freestanding ovens. This is not normally a problem, because manufacturers build in a ventilation spacer, which ensures that the appliance stands off the back wall by around 20mm or so. Otherwise, you can install floor units right up to the edge of the cooker - it should have adequate insulation to prevent overheating of the side panels.

It's handy to have an extractor hood that can vent to the outside air, and it's worth considering that when siting the cooker - so that you avoid having to instal a long run of ducting.

Woolwell 17:16 23 Apr 07

Is it a gas or electric cooker? Gas one has to be installed by a Corgi registered fitter.

This is quite helpful: click here

A cooker should not be below a window nor should it be next to a door. This site is useful click here

Pamy 17:49 23 Apr 07

It should not be next to a door and you should allow at least 6inches form gas grill and cupboards

Forum Editor 18:12 23 Apr 07

"you should allow at least 6inches form gas grill and cupboards"

Modern free-standing cookers do not need to be six inches from cupboards, and usually have a gas hob on the top. They must be installed by a Corgi-registered fitter, as Woolwell says, and must have a flexible coupling hose connecting the cooker to a fixed bayonet socket. The comment about proximity to doors and windows refers to British Standard BS 6172 which advises against such positions to prevent draughts from extinguishing gas flames.

Many modern gas hobs have flame-failure devices which automatically shut down the supply to a burner if the flame goes out.

STREETWORK 19:17 23 Apr 07

I installed kitchens in a previous life...

Any fitting should be at least 50mm from each side of the cooker.

1. For heat safety reasons
2. For ventilation purposes
3. For maintenance purposes.

Gas cookers must have a safety chain fitted to prevent pulling off the connection...

Oh those were the days...

spmilligan 19:21 23 Apr 07

I knew I had come to the right place. A big, big thank you to one and all. Now I've got some work to do.
Thanks again.

laurie53 21:37 23 Apr 07

There used to a site called Firenet or similar, a bit like this one, but inhabited mainly by practising firepersons.

When I was still working I got invaluable advice from it

WhiteTruckMan 21:49 23 Apr 07

a regular vent/flue, whereas gas fires and boilers (which run off exactly the same fuel) do?

I know kitchens should be ventilated, but surely theres more to it than that?

WTM

big bloke66 22:00 23 Apr 07

Thats a question thats been bugging me for ages.
Sad or what.
bb66.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5