Outnumbered

Bapou 20:09 30 Nov 08

BBC Television has come in for a lot of stick lately, not without reason either.

Apart from the obscene language protests many of us complain at lack of new quality comedy programmes compared with the past etc. etc.

Yet, BBC 1 seems to have slipped in a little gem of a comedy on Saturday nights without any trumpets blaring in advance. We came across it purely by accident really, hoping for an alternative to the reality shows.

We were not disappointed, 'Outnumbered' turns out to be one for the award nominations in our opinion.

If it's been around before the last few weeks, then how the three kids in this family comedy have never been nominated for major acting awards before now, it's beyond me. They are brilliant.

If you missed last night's episode, repeat is on Wednesday BBC 2 10pm.

exdragon 21:25 30 Nov 08

I've just read in the Sunday Times that only the adults have scripts. The producer whispers to the children (off set) roughly what he wants them to say and lets them get on with it.

exdragon 21:28 30 Nov 08

Apparently, the suggestion was that the 7 year old Karen, was supposed to say of her father, 'You smell as if you'd been to the pub'. This she reduced to, 'You smell of pub' which is much more like something a child would say.

I'm sorry I missed the first series - I remmeber seeing the words 'three children' and immediately ignored it. Now trying to find the dvd of series one.

Si_L 21:48 30 Nov 08

Watched every episode so far, I don't know why, because it definitely is not the funniest show in the world. There is just something fresh about it, I like the semi-improv of it too.

Forum Editor 23:08 30 Nov 08

this programme rings a million bells. We watched the first series in disbelief that children could be coaxed into acting so well, and so naturally. The second series is a bonus, in that it has lost none of the sparkle of the first.

Awards should be showered on it for its originality and for the sheer quality of its writing and acting.

lotvic 00:26 01 Dec 08

Thank you for 'Outnumbered' I had missed all of this series 1 and now have found I can at least watch / catchup with series 2 on my pc at click here

Have just watched some of series 2 episode 1
(It is available to watch for another month)
Totally brilliant.

Wish I could also see series 1. I will look for it on dvd.

laurie53 10:56 01 Dec 08

Thanks for the heads up.

I, too, had ignored it, I will now give it a try.

Bapou 16:21 01 Dec 08

Pleased I mentioned this, had never heard of Outnumbered until a couple of episodes ago. The DVD on the the first series is now a must.

The episode we first came upon was the family attending a wedding and the local priest had the misfortune to share a table with the kids. The discussion on religion had me laughing out loud which is a rarity with most comedy programmes.

lotvic 20:04 01 Dec 08

I've ordered dvd of series 1
just the job, many thanks :))

mr simon 23:48 09 Apr 10

But I know this show was popular with a lot of people, and wanted to point them in the direction of iPlayer, if you click here it will take you to the first episode of Series 3.

Forum Editor 09:11 10 Apr 10

to maintain the kind of standard that was set by the first two series. The danger is that the child actors become experienced,and they lose the air of spontaneity that gave the programme's improvisation its brilliance.

I think that has started to happen, and the three children are in danger of slipping into cliché.

Ramona Marquez shines out, and I hope she doesn't turn out to be another child star who never goes further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…