Our recent thread about language

Forum Editor 00:23 08 Mar 09

got me thinking, and then along came this to highlight the difficulties that might ensue (at one end of the scale) from the use of a word in the wrong context.

click here

JYPX 00:45 08 Mar 09

Well, it looks like no harm was caused by this gaffe but when you think about what "pushing the button" meant in terms of the USA/Russia, not that many years ago, it seems like an odd way to break the ice...

newman35 00:52 08 Mar 09

Personally, I think the 'red button' was perfect, to remind all super-powers that M.A.D. still exists, so 'play nicely' would be the message.

Forum Editor 01:07 08 Mar 09

that the White House would have access to fluent Russian speakers? It seems to me to have been a worryingly elementary error to make, right at the start of what is hoped will become a new era of friendly diplomatic relationships between the two nations.

wiz-king 07:17 08 Mar 09

With th Americans love of the latest technology they probably used the babel fish. click here

laurie53 07:39 08 Mar 09

Some lowly minion's career in the State Department is over!

crosstrainer 07:40 08 Mar 09

You would indeed. A new translator would be a good idea.

Grey Goo 08:53 08 Mar 09

Don't forget they were translating American English. What we call a reset button is probably called an overload button in America, just a thought. But there again there must be a shed load of Russian Americans in the US who could have checked it out. As an aside there are lots of people on the Forums who appear not to be able to speak any form of English at all let alone a foreign tongue.

last starfighter 09:20 08 Mar 09

sounds like there THAT engrossed in making peace that what with the recession that they "Dropped A Clanger" when you try so hard at something its human error to nearly always forget the basic's & here we have a perfect example..

Forum Editor 11:02 08 Mar 09

all think it was a dumb error, and I suppose they should probably know.

I emailed my Moscow client when I saw this yesterday, and he's responded, saying "it was a silly error that wouldn't have been made by my twelve year old daughter. She could have told Hillary Clinton what the correct word is."

It's being treated as a joke by the Russians because they can't believe anyone could have been so silly.

newman35 11:33 08 Mar 09

Changed days, indeed.
In the past Kruschev could have been banging the table at the UN by now, demanding imperialist heads on a plate.
Good to see Russia watch the US squirm a little.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…