Our customers have said.............

gengiscant 08:51 25 Nov 10

BBC Breakfast business had an interview with the Dixon's boss, who's name escapes me,who was giving an explanation on why Curry's and Dixon's are going to share stores. He said "it was what his customers wanted".

I seem to here that very often these days,usually,or so it seems to me, to excuse some ridiculous change in the way a supermarket does things in-store.

My question is who are these customers that are telling supermarket/stores that they would like to see this particular thing happening or yes I would really love to have Curry's in the same store as Dixon's?

One would have thought that it would take an awful lot of customers to be saying this before a decision is made to spend the money converting/altering stores to accommodate the two different brands.

michaelw 09:07 25 Nov 10

They all do it. Even Tescos when they sell chickens for knock-down prices and the suppliers mistreat the animals, it's all for the good of the customer because it's what they want. Not.

carver 09:09 25 Nov 10

I know the feeling, it's when you go into a place for an item that's been replaced with a more expensive one or stores own brand and you get the answer, "but it's what the customers have asked for".

I want to know who these people are.

gengiscant 09:18 25 Nov 10

So its not just me who wonders who these people are.

interzone55 09:30 25 Nov 10

Most companies carry out regular customer surveys, either in-store or over the phone / internet.

I take part in Asda's survey panel, which issues very short surveys each week, and I've noticed some of the products in the survey have changed their packaging based on some of the questions in a poll.

If a panel of 1000 customers comes down overwhelmingly on the side of a particular result it would be a foolish company that chose to ignore the findings.

On the other hand, it could well be that Currys/ Dixons skewed the survey questions to steer the result they way they wanted.

Question: How would you like the stores to look
a) Paint them vivid pink with blue spots
b) paint them deep red with black fixtures and fittings
c) merge dixons & currys into one unit

natdoor 09:31 25 Nov 10

Our local Dixon's was renamed Curry's some years ago. The only obvious change was the appearnce of a ashing machine for sale in the store for a few weeks.

Proclaimer 10:08 25 Nov 10

click here click here
click here

And I am one of 'those customers' but I promise I did not take part in that survey...

spuds 11:22 25 Nov 10

Only the other week I was stopped by a smartly dressed and well spoken lady, doing a customer survey in one of the local supermarkets.

Clipboard in hand, and asking opinions on food products, like sausage rolls, pork and meat pies. But when I started mentioning Melton Mowbray and pork pies, Cumberland and sausages, she was at a total loss.

Now to me, if you are going to conduct a customer survey about certain items, then you should be fully conversant with the products that your customer might want or expect.

I suppose its a bit like asking where peas and other vegetables come from originally, and being told, from a supermarket. I blame marketing and modern education for all this :O).

interzone55 12:16 25 Nov 10

"I suppose its a bit like asking where peas and other vegetables come from originally, and being told, from a supermarket"

I saw a trailer for a BBC program about shops in the past and a butcher is talking to some kids "do you like meat", "yes", "what's your favourite meat", "McDonalds"

oresome 12:33 25 Nov 10

Once PC World started selling TVs and other consumer goods as well as computers, the difference between them and Currys, who also sell computers became blured.

In general these large electrical retail stores seem to have a lot of floor space, large displays, open long hours and yet do most of their business over a relatively few hours in the week. The overheads must be enormous.

No wonder the Tesco's of this world and on-line retailers have dented their business model.

You'd expect the boss to put on a brave face, but the reality is that the business case for PC World selling just PCs has disappeared. He didn't have to ask the customers, he just looked at the till receipts.

spuds 13:15 25 Nov 10

PC World stopped being PC World when they removed the Bargain Corner from their stores. Many a happy few minutes having a weekly rummage through a pile of perhaps might haves :O)

But I did pick a couple of bargain tutorial software four weeks ago. Listed at £2.00 plus, but at the checkout 97p each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced