Ouch! Found a new pothole yet?

peter99co 16:02 12 Jan 10

click here

Throughout the cold snap, much of the public's attention has been focused on a shortage of salt for gritting treacherous roads. But Institution of Civil Engineers vice-president Geoff French said the thaw could bring little respite, with drivers having to cope with increasing numbers of potholes.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:18 12 Jan 10

Geoff French is talking rubbish. There were shed loads of potholes prior to the cold snap and I'm sure that the local councils will blame the recent weather. The roads around where I live are an absolute disgrace and reminiscent of a third world country.

G

babybell 16:33 12 Jan 10

Sadly, he is not talking rubbish. I work in the road surfacing industry and there is nothing more damaging (apart from fire) than frost is to a asphalt surface. Water gets in the cracks and freezes, cracking the bonds between the aggregate which is then made worse once the heavy traffic returns to it. Every town has bad roads, some more than others, but he is right that the pothole situation could get worse after this cold snap

peter99co 16:36 12 Jan 10

Having broken two front springs in one incident I will be looking out for them.

bri-an 16:38 12 Jan 10

...and the question will be, where, in the present economic climate, will the money come from for repairs?
We'll maybe need to get used to potholes and drive slower.
There were never any potholes prior to this present government taking office - it's all GB's fault. (Sorry, just pre-empting the usual conclusions!!)

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:46 12 Jan 10

'and the question will be, where, in the present economic climate, will the money come from for repairs'..of course it would be stupid of me to suggest that it comes from the road tax, extortionate petrol tax and tax on new cars.

G

skeletal 16:47 12 Jan 10

babybell: perhaps you can answer a question that has been puzzling me for years?

Why, when the roads are mended, do the menders use a mix of cardboard and breakfast cereal?

At least I assume this is what is used as I have seen the surface break up again within a day or two from being, so called, repaired. And yes, I really mean a day or two.

If they were repaired to a higher standard then surely this would work out more economical in the end?

And as for costs, given the huge amounts of money GB gets from long suffering motorists, why are the roads not all made out of solid gold?

Skeletal

babybell 16:47 12 Jan 10

Sadly, the answer is usually the tax payer will foot the bill for repairs, this is unless the council/government can prove by testing that the aggregate was faulty and that led to the quicker demise of the standard in the road, more often than not though its just one of those things that happens from time to time.

Forum Editor 17:05 12 Jan 10

I don't think the general condition of our roads has ever been so bad as at present. I'm sure that some new ones have appeared as a result of the cold weather, but there were plenty of them long before the winter played its part.

SimpleSimon1 17:06 12 Jan 10

"...but he is right that the pothole situation could get worse after this cold snap"

No could about it! Things HAVE got majorly worse in the last few days. We live out in the country and have had about 13" snow. The busier thru-routes have now more or less been cleared (not by the council) and the number of NEW dangerous large holes that are appearing is horrifying.

This is going to cost a shed-load to repair and it's not as if the government is rolling in spondulicks at the moment :-(

Chegs ®™ 17:28 12 Jan 10

I have ceased using the car as the roads round here are in such a lousy condition.Unfortunately,I drive for a living and as I mainly travel the same road it didn't take me long to learn where the biggest holes were and avoid them or slow to a crawl along some sections as I don't wish to break the suspension and have to get my transport Boss to arrange a forklift & alternative vehicle for the load.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…