Original Harry Ramsden's to close

interzone55 10:15 AM 30 Nov 11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15949876

The biggest Fish & Chip restaurant in the world, Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley, is being closed after the venture capital company that bought the business last year decided to "re-position the brand".

Seems we don't have companies any more, just "brands", that need to be "grown" and "re-positioned"

Quickbeam 11:48 AM 30 Nov 11

I think in the longterm they will regret throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You can't buy a sales image with the history that this now global brand has.

Quickbeam 11:49 AM 30 Nov 11

...having said that, they served two of the things I most hate. Marmite on bread and mushy peas!

Bingalau 13:04 PM 30 Nov 11

I never saw anything outstanding in Harry Ramsden's chippies. The only one I eever went in took hours to serve anyone and the food was not all it was supposed to be. In fact it was rubbish. I thought they had gone out of business?

interzone55 13:31 PM 30 Nov 11

fourm member

I'm making a general point about heritage being lost because a company has bought a brand and has no intentions of keeping the original business alive, just using the brand name, and not even using the name in its original market.

All the restaurants will close, I'm fairly certain off this, and the name will be used on a range of pre-packaged foods much like Aunt Bessie's...

Mr Mistoffelees 13:36 PM 30 Nov 11

"All the restaurants will close, I'm fairly certain off this, and the name will be used on a range of pre-packaged foods much like Aunt Bessie's..."

It already is: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/brands/harryramsdensin_tesco.html

Mr Mistoffelees 13:37 PM 30 Nov 11

Sorry, defective link enter link description here

Brumas 14:11 PM 30 Nov 11

Bingalau, "the food was not all it was supposed to be. In fact it was rubbish", you're from Lancashire, you wouldn't know good fish and chips if they bit you on the leg!

I'll get my coat! ;o}

interzone55 15:29 PM 30 Nov 11

Mr Mistoffelees

Well that's one half of my prediction that's correct (not sure it's a prediction if it's already happened, although I have to say I wasn't aware of these products, I envisage frozen fish, and a range of pies and such)

Aitchbee 20:11 PM 30 Nov 11

My brother,William, and I, had a nice 'large' fish 'n' chips with peas and all the condiments etc. in a large pub in central Glasgow called 'The Goose'. It's situated on a main bus route, plenty of buses,(we saw about 100 buses pass by,from a window table,in the spacious upstairs restaurant, in the space of an hour.It's very handy, for catching a bus home.

The two meals, cost us £6.49 in total.

What would Harry Ramsdens shop charge for this equivalent?

Perhaps people are shopping around more, for bargains, the more expensive eateries being the loser's.

In contrast, my local fish 'n' chip shop's takeaway prices are starting to become unaffordable now.It's £6.50 for a fish supper.

They, (The chips shops all over the land) must have lost a fortune to-day, because the schools were closed due to the STRIKE.

Bapou 22:50 PM 30 Nov 11

I'm with Bingalau on this. Harry Ramsden's fish and chips, mushy peas, tea, bread and butter, in Guiseley or any other branch was not a patch on Bryan's of Headingley Leeds, or the City centre's Nash's Fish and Chips.

Harry Ramsden opened a restaurant near the Metro Centre Gateshead years ago and the price put many a customer off going a second time. I don't even know if it's still open, no one refers to it when arguing which chip shop is best.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

DxO One 'pro' camera attachment for the iPhone: UK pricing & availability

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites