Origami reaction 'mixed', says Samsung

Ben Camm-Jones 15:53 19 Jun 06

Samsung could barely disguise its disappointment at the feedback it has had from customers who bought the Q1 ultra mobile PC.

click here for the story.

Did you buy a Q1 device? Do you know someone who did? What did you think of it?

Sir Radfordin 22:41 19 Jun 06

I just completed a project a work looking at our 'mobile working' options and included a footnote about the UMPC and the Samsung Q1. I think it is too early to tell what is going to happen with these.

We are dealing with one supplier of software who plans to port the software from Windows Mobile to the UMPC platform but not for a year or so.

They look a better option than the tablet PC ever was going to be, but still seem to be lacking 'something' - though not sure what.

Just not sure what they do - their not a laptop, not a games machine (PSP etc) and not a PDA. The size of the screen is a big advantage but the thing just doesn't look easy to hold in one hand.

A wait and see game I think.

Forum Editor 00:28 20 Jun 06

Often means "Forget it".

Marketing mobile devices is a poisoned chalice if ever I saw one, not least because the people who use mobile computers tend to want a bit of everything in a small box. What they don't want is to pay £800 for something that has a serious identity crisis.

I need a device that is around the size of a large-ish paperback, and runs Windows XP/Vista, Microsoft Office, and a few other essential apps. It must have room for a Gigabyte or two of data files, a stylus, a keyboard that's at least as good as the one on the PsionMX, the usual collection of ports, have WiFi built in, a decent colour screen, and a four-hour battery life - all fitted neatly into a sturdy case with a lid. Forget bare screens - they're the kiss of death.

Offer me that little lot for £450...... alright, £500 and not a penny more, and I'll elbow my way to the front of the queue.

Toshiba did it with the Libretto series - God's gift to discerning travellers - but the price made grown computer consultants weep. My Libretto was my friend for several years, and was such an object of desire that a light-fingered fellow delegate at a conference decided to give it a new home one wintry afternoon - I mourned for weeks, and still scan the crowds at computing events.

Ultra-Mobile PC? Sure, but make it worthwhile - It's time manufacturers asked us what we want, instead of guessing.

€dstowe 06:53 20 Jun 06

"It's time manufacturers asked us what we want, instead of guessing."

A problem on so many areas of all product development.

Although marketing "executives"* pay for most of my business, I often wish they would just sit down and think seriously about what their crazy ideas do and how/will they sell.

*I must be getting old when I see snotty (nose and attitude) kids (i.e. marketing executives) being paid oodles of cash to come up with some of these daft notions. It is even worse for the (relatively) poorly paid product development departments having to produce these fantasies. Fortunately most are stopped before they get on the market but some, unfortunately, don't.

spuds 10:38 20 Jun 06

€dstowe, I like your definition of a young marketing executive, bit like the young IT consultant and the wise old sheep farmer. Won't go into that now, but it's a sure sign of getting older.

Regarding the disappointment of feedback. People seem to take the opinion that most feedback's are irrelevant to some manufacturers. Whatever the public wants, the public may never get!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…