Opera or Chrome???

Mr Mistoffelees 15:09 15 May 09

Wednesday, In another thread, I, as I so often do, advocated the use of Opera. An excellent,fast, browser with many useful features that I have got used to having available to me.

This last two days I have been trying Google Chrome. Doesn't have all the features I like, which can be a bit of a pain but, nothing I can't live without. I also thought Opera was fast but, Chrome has made it look a bit Fiat Panda compared to Google's Lotus Elise. Speed through lightness as Graham Chapman used to espouse.

Now I don't know which to favour but, Google has released the first alternative I haved tried, to be good enough to shake my faith in Opera.

interzone55 15:45 15 May 09

I've been using Chrome since the first beta release and never looked back.

I could never get to grips with Opera, tried it many times, but it offered not compelling advantages to make me keep it in favour of Firefox, but since first using Chrome I've rarely had to resort to Firefox, all sites I use seem to work in Chrome just fine, including sites that sometimes refuse to work in Firefox and insist on IE - like my bank, and my company intranet.

Now if the manufacturers of IP cameras and network video surveillance software would move away from Active X controls and switch to a universal streaming technology that will work in all browsers I'll be able to leave IE behind and use Chrome for all browsing tasks...

Si_L 15:47 15 May 09

If they fixed the page zoom I would use Chrome, but until then its Firefox for me.

Al94 17:45 15 May 09

Chrome is good but I dont think it's any faster then IE8

Kemistri 18:53 15 May 09

"Chrome is good but I don't think it's any faster then IE8"

Take it from someone who tests Javascript day to day: Chrome is a lot faster than IE8 and faster than any other production browser, even Opera 9.6. The figures back that up.

But speed is not the main consideration for regular browsing and Chrome (deliberately) lacks the features of Firefox, Opera and Safari.

Forum Editor 19:24 15 May 09

for quite a while, and I'm hooked. It's the best browser I've used to date.

JYPX 19:43 15 May 09

I agree with Si_L. Owners of 1980 x 1020 monitors, with the possible exception of Clark Kent, are likely to need a little more flexibility than Chrome currently offers. Until they fix this - Firefox is king.

laurie53 20:51 15 May 09

Chrome has been my browser of choice (except for this site funnily enough) since the first beta.

(The reason I don't use it for the PCA site is that I have colour vision difficulty and PCA's colour scheme make it difficult to read. With IE or FF I can choose my own colours)

james55 21:25 15 May 09

Firefox is my default browser, I have four others IE8, Chrome, Opera & Flock. Chrome & Flock are really fast with Chrome being the easiest and could end up my Default browser yet. The reason I have so many is to check out how my site looks on different browsers as they can vary.

rdave13 00:23 16 May 09

I've tried Chrome a few times. Fast browser but sometimes when I close it, it seems to be using a lot of ram and CPU for some reason. Have to use task manager to end the process. It's happened three times so uninstalled for good and also the Google updater it leaves behind.

Forum Editor 01:06 16 May 09

What specifically is wrong with the colour scheme so that it's difficult to read?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac