Opening a car via mobile phone

Diodorus Siculus 12:46 13 Apr 06

A while ago someone posted a thread saying that if your keys were locked in the car:

1 - call the person with access to spare key on a mobile phone

2 - hold one phone near to the car

3 - press the button on the spare key

4 - the car would open

This was quickly denounced as not being possible for seemingly good reasons.

Anyway, just a few minutes ago someone on "You and Yours" on BC Radio 4 explained that they had done just that with a Mercedes in Norfolk with the spare key 62 miles away.

Mercedes say they don't know how it happened - they say that their keys use both infra red and a radio code. While there is no way the infra red beam came down the phone, they say they are not so sure about the radio wave.

As it's not April 1st, I thought I'd post it in case anyone had a convincing explanation.

pj123 13:18 13 Apr 06

That proves the "exception to the rule" then.

I was quite paranoid about my remote key locking I traded the car in for one that used the key in the lock. I was frightened that the battery in the key would run out and wouldn't let me in. I carried a spare set of keys and a spare set of batteries, just in case.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:32 13 Apr 06

'Anyway, just a few minutes ago someone on "You and Yours" on BC Radio 4 explained that they had done just that with a Mercedes in Norfolk with the spare key 62 miles away.'...doe not mean that it is true and unless the programme came up with a convincing proof I would call bull and that someone was having a laugh.

Remote locks use either an infra-red pulse (no good on a phone), an encrypted radio signal based on frequency generations or both. The frequencies are so high that a mobile phone has no chance of replicating them. I have a feeling that this is an urban myth. click here expalins where the rumour may have started. click here for more info.

Load of cobblers........

G

pj123 16:11 13 Apr 06

The only sure way is to try it yourself.

Personally I agree with GANDALF <|:-)>.

SG Atlantis® 17:51 13 Apr 06

don't believe it.

Pidder 18:23 13 Apr 06

My 206 has a "radio" key but I can also open the door manually with the key in the lock so I'm not worried about the battery running down. Don't know if this is general.

Jackcoms 18:47 13 Apr 06

"My 206 has a "radio" key but I can also open the door manually with the key in the lock"

Ditto my Golf.

However, I must then put the key in the ignition within about 20 seconds otherwise the alarm starts a-weeping and a-wailing!

Forum Editor 19:24 13 Apr 06

Me in the car, and her with a mobile phone that was half a mile away, and it doesn't work.

Bapou 20:19 13 Apr 06

My Citreon, now 3 yrs old, came with only one remote locking key, the spare is your normal manual type. Never had need to use it until about six weeks ago having mislaid the remote somewhere in the house.

Rather than do a search, used the spare, it wouldn't work. After some frantic searching finally found the remote, checking each key side by side they didn't match up.

Went to the dealer where car had been purchased, was told to make an appointment as a new key would have to be coded in which would take 2 hours.

No, "Sorry about that", just, " You must have been given another persons key." I would never have thought of that!!

Starfox 12:32 15 Apr 06

Don't know about operating remote locking through a mobile phone but what I do know is that if I press the remote for my Land Rover anywhere in the house it will unlock the car when it is in the driveway and it doesn't have to be aimed towards the car either.
How can it do that then?

Forum Editor 14:23 15 Apr 06

I can do the same with my car, and my wife can do it with hers. I suspect that most cars can be opened in that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…