The only way

john bunyan 18:05 04 Apr 10

to overcome the recent "scandal" of cover ups in the Catholic Church is to allow married and women priests. There is a golden opportunity to do so now to avoid the impression that there is an unwillingess to make changes. Whilst the heirachy consists of old, single, men, no matter how worthy, most people will not believe the Church will change much. I hope this is within the rules and is not at all intended as being anti religion.

PalaeoBill 18:26 04 Apr 10

You need to understand the Catholic perspective to see why this is unacceptable. I am loath to use a Wikki link but they do seem to cover it pretty well here click here just scroll down to "Catholic prespective".

The unmarried and celibate priest puts God first and devotes all his energies to God. If I didn't think that the vast majority of Catholic priests have nothing to do with this scandal, I couldn't be a Catholic.

Evil people get themselves into trusted positions so that they can do what they want. Allowing them to marry isn't going to change the fact that they are evil. They don't do evil things because they don't have wives, they do evil things because they are evil.

The scandal needs to be dealt with, the criminals and those who covered up for them need to be thrown out of the church, they are not men of God; and the full force of the Criminal Justice system should be thrown at them.

john bunyan 18:41 04 Apr 10

I agree with your views and am sure the vast majority of priests are comletely devited to their flock and their calling. There are probably a few rotten apples in any organisation and the "bosses" who covered up the bad ones are as guilty. However all organisations must change sometimes, - for example the Anglican Church has only recently allowed women priests. I believe married Anglican priests can transfer into the Catholic Church, so there is some movement, and celibacy was not always a requirement hundreds of years ago. I just think it would vastly increase the credibilty of the church if it were not seen to be run by such a narrow sector of the community. I do respect the other view, of course.

Cymro. 11:15 05 Apr 10

I think there is something in the forum rules about religion although I don`t see why religion should be treated any differently so it will be interesting to see how this thread works out.

I have always thought the Roman Catholic Church to be among the most evil on Earth. Just think how much pain and suffering it has caused over the years with its policy on birth control and abortion in places like Africa.

It is the arrogance that it seems to have about such things that angers me. No one must ask questions or doubt the view of Rome on anything. The Catholic Church has a long way to go before it makes any amends for what has happened. Changes must be made and the sooner the better.

john bunyan 11:42 05 Apr 10

I suspect that it is no worse than some other religions : I wonder why there seems such a "male chauvinist" situation in most of them - no women Imams, few Rabbis , no Bishops (as yet).

Cymro. 11:50 05 Apr 10

The nonconformist churches such as the Methodist and the Baptists seem to do better as regards having women in their hierarchy.

Cymro. 12:00 05 Apr 10

We should use links to Private Eye more often on this forum. Much better than the once from The Daily Mail and such like.

ronalddonald 18:42 05 Apr 10

more should be advertised the wrongs the catholic church has committed to many generations of children

sunnystaines 21:01 05 Apr 10

cannot understand why they covered it all up rather than sacking those concerned in the incidents and those who knew but did nothing. this lot need to urgently get its house in order and have a clearout.

Bob Zimmerman 21:05 05 Apr 10

The Bible says in Timothy which gives the requirements for an Elder or Priest:

'If any man is reaching out for an office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work. 2 The overseer should therefore be irreprehensible,

a husband of one wife,

moderate in habits, sound in mind, orderly, hospitable, qualified to teach, 3 not a drunken brawler, not a smiter, but reasonable, not belligerent, not a lover of money, 4 a man >presiding over his own household in a fine manner, having children in subjection with all seriousness...'

Strawballs 21:11 05 Apr 10

Because the Vatican believe themselves to be beyond reproach in anything they do or say which then filters down to the hierachy in other countries especially those dominated by the catholic church such as Eire

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac