Only in cinemas.... and DVD?

lee_robinson1983 11:27 05 May 06

I'm probably being a bit sad but has anyone else noticed how when films are being released in cinemas, on the trailer or poster it says "only in cinemas" then (surprise, surprise) a few months later it's out on DVD?

The latest example that I can remember being King Kong. It doesn't say this on every film, just a few. A shrewd marketing ploy to tap into the subconcious I think...

keith-236134 13:04 05 May 06

Nothing wrong with that.

SG Atlantis® 18:55 05 May 06

"Only in cinemas" is a valid claim when the film is just released as it's not any where else but the cinema.

It's kind of like stating the obvious isn't it.

Totally-braindead 19:03 05 May 06

Have to agree with SG Atlantis® it is rather obvious that at the time its at the cinema its not available on DVD. So the claim is valid at the time. It may come out on DVD 3 months or 6 months after its been at the cinema but I can't see why you think its a marketing ploy.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:15 05 May 06

stating the obvious...and you are not forced to buy the DVD or go to the film.

VideoSentry 14:34 06 May 06

Many of the film companies will release ealier than before,to try and pre-empt the countefeiters.

amonra 15:26 06 May 06

If the film is any good the producers will hang on to it and keep it on the big screen If it turns out to be a load of c**p (which a lot of them are) then they release it to the DVD market to squeeze a few more bucks out of us suckers.

spuds 20:34 06 May 06

"only in cinemas", never as been. If its a blockbuster, then you can bet a counterfeit copy is ready in the making. Years ago, it was the guy in the next seat with his cini-camera :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…