Only came in for a paper!

Diemmess 17:34 03 Nov 06

Just a 9 hour wonder quickie for those who may have missed it in spite of tabloid and TV coverage.
click here

rdave13 18:07 03 Nov 06

"Suzanne Cordeau was trying to manoeuvre her Toyota Starlet closer to the pump when she accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake."

Read often in the newspapers of similar incidences and usually happens to senior citizens.
May be new retesting rules should be considered as such accidents could prove fatal.

VoG II 18:24 03 Nov 06

It is a fairly regular occurrence in our local Waitrose car park. A few months back a man had both his legs broken when he was pinned between his own car and that of the old lady who had accelerated into him. Ouch! No fatalities thank goodness.

I agree about the retesting.

Sir Radfordin 18:40 03 Nov 06

Interesting quotes that give quite a different take on things and both attributed to the manager.

From the local paper -

"I'm amazed nobody was hurt. Thankfully the pumps are designed not to spill in these situations but this one was completely shattered"

From the BBC website -

"Luckily it was a diesel pump and not petrol or it could have been quite deadly.

"I hit the emergency cut-off switch before any fuel escaped."

rodriguez 18:47 03 Nov 06

Haha I just saw that on my local news about 5 minutes ago...

Diemmess 19:39 03 Nov 06

VoG™ says driving test repeat?
Agree some lose the ability, some never had it!

The harsh reality is not the actual age of the driver, so much as some drivers losing all sorts of physical ability. That can arrive long before even a sixtieth birthday.
Lack of concentration, loss of coordination, memory, and so rigid with arthritis that they cannot turn to look over a shoulder.
Eyesight is covered by the declaration, but not routinely tested.

If there is to be a testing of every driver after a certain age it should be like HGV drivers, a medical exam.

Two different examples of medical problems, both some time ago.
A local quarry owner had a near fatal heart attack but continued to drive his Jag (with the knowledge of his doctor and friend), until a year later he had a fatal second attack mercifully at home.

A short film on the Beeb made by Devon and Cornwall Police, showing cars approaching an island in Torquay.
Time after time older drivers came up to the island, simply couldn't turn enough to see oncoming traffic and so crept out into the circuit almost flinching as they hoped others would give way.

Bingalau 20:37 03 Nov 06

Hey, wait a minute.. I'm probably in the class of older drivers, I have a touch of arthritis and a bad back. But I used to be a driving instructor and am a member of the Institute of Advanced Drivers. I take great pride in the quality of my driving. It is not just old people who should have regular driving re-tests it is all drivers. Of course the costs of having medicals and other tests probably prohibit that from becoming a reality. But maybe if some form of stop and check at random was carried out, it may unearth those unfit to be behind the wheel. Getting back to the older drivers, it has been proved over and over again that the worse drivers are those who have just passed their test. I've also noticed that women drivers (all ages) are beginning to become more aggressive behind the wheel. One oldish woman making an almighty cock-up doesn't mean all oldish women are in the same category. If it had been a young man the press wouldn't have bothered to cover the story at all. ..Bingalau..

Diemmess 21:02 03 Nov 06

[If it had been a young man the press wouldn't have bothered to cover the story at all.] ....

You are probably right.

Also even if the years now exclude you from competition in rigorous sport, you recognise your limitations and are probably as safe now as you ever were.
The IAM membership is a pointer to your determination to drive safely at all times, but I'm by no means sure that applies to others who are reluctant or frightened to recognise their failings.

Living in the sticks here, everyone is dependant on having the use of a car and older people remember how it used to be, when roadside parking was frowned upon because it was unusual, and driving a pleasurable adventure.

I'd hate yet more legislation, but if it comes to age-related checkup then such tests should show an active brain and enough physical control even with special fittings to be able to drive safely, rather than another driving test, though that too could be enforced as it is now when someone is being totally irresponsible.

VoG II 21:12 03 Nov 06

My late father was a member of the IAM but his driving in his late 70s seriously frightened me - he did not seem to be able to judge lateral distance. I don't know but I assume that the IAM does not have a retest scheme.

I would not for a minute suggest that all elderly drivers are as hazard. But some of them are and in a different way to young speed devils.

wee eddie 21:15 03 Nov 06

I suggest that the obvious answer is that the Test be absolutely evenly applied and taken once every 10 years thereafter.

Primary test to be taken at the same age but becoming a probationer, with some form of limits, until a resit at 20, then 30, 40, 50, 60.

sunny staines 21:42 03 Nov 06

When OAP's renew their disabled parking badges they could be a cluse on the application that the gp signs that they are fit to drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…