Is online banking REALLY secure?

CurlyWhirly 19:59 05 Nov 04

click here

I am a Cahoot customer so it is worrying!
The article says that no money could have been transferred from people's accounts but I have my doubts.
Opinions anyone?

Jackcoms 20:49 05 Nov 04

I think, in general, that it is secure.

I use NatWest, Halifax, Intelligent Finance and ING online services and, touch wood, no problems so far.

The problem with Cahoot was not so much a lack of security but a lack of proper testing of the new software before releasing it on an unsuspecting public.

In any event, banks do guarantee that the customer will not lose any money due to errors by the bank.

If you're unhappy; take your money away from Cahoot and put it with another bank.

By the way, I do NOT work for a bank!

CurlyWhirly 20:54 05 Nov 04

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

LastChip 22:09 05 Nov 04

I think Jackcoms response says it all, BUT, it's the things we don't know about that maybe lurking around the corner, that could be unsafe.

Lets put it this way. I don't think it's any less safe than say telephone banking and probably much more secure, than handing your credit card over in a restaurant!

For me, the convenience outweighs the risks.

CurlyWhirly 22:13 05 Nov 04

I like you think that the convenience outweighs the risks but I can't believe that Cahoot released an upgrade of their website software without properly testing it first!

smokingbeagle 22:26 05 Nov 04

click here
You still cant't beat the convenience of internet banking.

Jackcoms 22:39 05 Nov 04

smokingbeagle

Good link.

What's Windowe Scripting Host and how do I disable it?? :-)

helmetshine 22:42 05 Nov 04

Like LastChip,i think the sheer convenience outweighs the risks involved....i am concerned that it was up for about 11/12 days and the people paid to test the security of the site never found it.From the short report i saw it was a simple procedure to access other peoples accounts...maybe the testers were,in a way,TOO expert and only checked for the more sophisticated means to crack the site and simply never even thought of the easy ways.Rather like your PC being dead.....taking it apart and checking every component individually....then realising it's turned off at the wall.

originalmiscellany 23:29 05 Nov 04

on a separate note, I got 2 emails in the past week stating that
1) I'd paid 258 USD for Myst 2 and
2) I'd added a seller to my account...

To be honest I freaked out and was genuinely worried, despite me thinking that I am a sensible level headed (experienced) computer user...
I logged on (clicking on the link to the internet) - noticing that it was not taking me to the normal paypal web address.

The thing that saved me was that I have a program called "ROboform" - a great prog which remembers password automatically, and it didn't pop up saying it had passowrds for the paypal website which it normally does, which indicated to me that it was a spoof email. I then logged in, and changed my password to both ebay and paypal to a 14 digit random password.

What a hastle! My concern is that someone like my mum and dad could be conned by an email like I received, and mistakenly share their info online.

I need to tell them to practice safe banking.

Finally, I typed in the email addresses listed in the email into google, and up popped thousands of comments on message boards stating that othe rpeople had also received the same email...

Cheers.

smokingbeagle 00:22 06 Nov 04

Despite the plug(s) for NAV, this site explains how to disable script hosting.
click here

Jackcoms 07:50 06 Nov 04

smokingbeagle

Thanks for that link.

Seems to me that because I'm running XP SP2 and NAV 2002 with Script Blocking enabled, there's not much more I can do except keep my fingers crossed (and regularly update NAV)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…