One for the Steam Fans.

peter99co 23:03 07 Apr 09
  Brumas 23:14 07 Apr 09

Now I have a reason to go to Wales ;o)

TopCat® 00:15 08 Apr 09

the rails again. It's thanks to the many donations, dedicated enthusiasts and thousands of volunteers up and down the country who continue to keep the age of steam alive.

As a further point of interest, two former Port of Par tanker locos named "Alfred" and "Judy" have now been fully restored and are in service now at click here These were used to shunt china clay wagons around the port

Apparently the Reverend Wilbert Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, took inspiration from these tankers before writing his book in 1946. We all know how successful that book series became. TC.

lofty29 09:12 08 Apr 09

click here
I love these steam lines and locos, I wish I could visit them more, I am hoping to ride behind "Tornado" when she comes to this neck of the woods this summer

peter99co 10:46 08 Apr 09

I am going during spring bank holiday if the weather stays fine.

Chris the Ancient 12:09 08 Apr 09

"Apparently the Reverend Wilbert Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, took inspiration from these tankers before writing his book in 1946. We all know how successful that book series became."

I was always led to believe, when I lived there, that the Thomas books were all based on the Furness peninsular around Barrow-in-Furness. The Isle of Sodor was a rather extended Walney Island which has a Vickerstown (sic) and that island's next stop to the west is the Isle of Man.

The story (I can't remember which one) where an engine disappears into a mine shaft is based on a truism where an engine went down a mine shaft at Dalton-in-Furness. Local repute has it that the engine is still down there. Rather than using coal, the engine was an oil-burning one and the tanks ruptured; thus coating, and preserving, the engine.

While I lived there, people could give locations for most of the incidents in the series of books.

Brumas 12:53 08 Apr 09

I'm not the world's best photographer but here is the picture I took of Tornado when it whistled up the coast of North Northumberland (just opposite Belford where I live) on its way to Edinburgh last month.It certainly brought back happy memories of happy days spent train-spotting in the 50s and 60s.......I could go on and on but I won't.

click here

Bingalau 14:03 08 Apr 09

Brumas. You could have used that picture for Friday evening's puzzle.

TopCat® 15:59 08 Apr 09

That is interesting to know, but as an 'emmett' (non Cornish person) of many years residence here, I can't honestly say which inspirational location is the correct one. Only that it is mentioned at click here

The same applies I believe to the legendary King Arthur story - Tintagel Castle here is reputed to be his place of birth but I think somewhere in Wales also lays claim to that honour. Whichever is the case, I hope it keeps the tourists happy! :o) TC.

Brumas 16:32 08 Apr 09

It's far too modern, it has to be at least pre 1950 before I select them.
I do however have one of 'The Rocket' which you should remember from your youth ;o))

Toneman 18:31 08 Apr 09

Don't know what your "neck of the woods" is but Tornado seems to be booked for a trip to West Somerset Railway in June...if so I shall be there...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…