One small strike against 419ers

Belatucadrus 11:17 04 Oct 07

click here

I used to be appalled by the 419 scams, I now think of them as evolution in action. They're not new, not clever and have been heavily publicised in all forms of the media. So anybody stupid enough to fall for this deserves everything they get.

£3.5bn a year, there's a load of really dim people out there.

johndrew 12:04 04 Oct 07

Yes, the fact it is a `prize` for something you didn`t (generally) enter that needs a `fee` to release it should be a clue. And as for online dating some thousands of miles from home ......

newman35 12:48 04 Oct 07

"£3.5bn a year, there's a load of really dim people out there."

Correction - a lot of really dim, but GREEDY, people!

Deserve what's coming, I'm afraid.

Totally-braindead 13:41 04 Oct 07

I'm afraid I'm with newman35 here, people are dim and greedy and they do get what they deserve.
I can understand people falling for a clever scam but if you think you win a competition you never even entered then you deserve to lose some cash.

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

Belatucadrus 14:37 04 Oct 07

I think a really good anti 419 measure would be a well publicised idiots gallery. One of those two angle mug shots with the "victim" holding a sign saying "Greedy Numpty." Anyone daft enough to fall for it gets posted. Should focus the mind once word gets out.

Belatucadrus 17:11 04 Oct 07

"there's a load of really dim people out there" I said, I had no idea how much of an understatement that was.

click here

"More than 3.2 million people have handed over cash"

That's not a load, that's a shed load, and a whopping great big shed at that !

WhiteTruckMan 23:05 04 Oct 07

t-b : A fool and his money can also throw one heck of a good party!

Belatucadrus: You might say that a shed load have shed a load!

WTM

Arthur Scrimshaw 09:58 06 Oct 07

to a programme on NPR, it was interviewing the head of the US postal service, he claimed that 90% of the frauds came form West Africa and most of these from Nigeria (not news really) - but the US postal service had set up a team in Nigeria scanning all the mail destined for the US and Canada, it had intercepted vast quantities of fake cheques and scam letters, this had led to around 90 arrests in the Country.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac