one or two input drives

fitcher 11:35 18 Oct 05

when I first started to build pcs .I allways used two drives .to write of the fly ,,first I had a cdrom , and then a cdrom with a cdwriter ,then a dvdrom with a cdwriter .then a dvd with a dvdwriter .now the dvd latest writers ..are made the master .and can be the sole drive .so how many still put two drives in their computers ..,,and do you notice your computer going a little faster ,(unless you are fly writing ).

jack 12:02 18 Oct 05

Well I suppose this could be a speakers corner topic
since you are seeking opinion rather than advice.
I have two drives, for no better reason I guess than,when adding as at first a CD writer to the original CD player, it was the easy thing to do rather than rip out the original, and ultmately when the DVD writer came along out went the reader.
Belt an braces too.
However copying on the fly I never do, always copy to HDD and burn from there.

Totally-braindead 12:04 18 Oct 05

Don't understand what you mean about "do you notice your computer going a little faster " do you mean when you write a disk? If so then I would have to say I notice a huge difference in speed, my first CD writer was only 4x whereas my new one is 48x, I think. I do still use 2 optical drives, typically a DVD writer and a DVD-ROM although my present PC has a DVD writer and a CD writer because my trusty DVD-ROM stopped working last week and I haven't got round to getting a replacement. I like having 2 drives mainly because of the possibility of drive failure, if one of my optical drives fails for whatever reason I can still use the PC with any programs have just by using the other drive.

DieSse 12:27 18 Oct 05

I agree with Totally-braindead - optical drives are not the most reliable things - having two is a nice fail-safe - and a straight DVD as the second drive costs a pittance these days.

Having siad that my LG drives seem extremely reliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…