One for the oldies amongst us..

Bingalau 12:49 25 Oct 10

click here

I wonder if they will also remove the 25 pence for the over eighties, that must cost the earth to administer. I also wonder if I will live long enough to appreciate a rise? In the present economic climate I doubt it.

Quickbeam 13:04 25 Oct 10

I'm not old enough to comment;)

Bingalau 13:37 25 Oct 10

Quickbeam, Yes I know it must be wonderful to be in your twenties like you. I was aiming this thread at people like Brumas and Macscouse of course.

birdface 14:02 25 Oct 10

It would certainly come in handy.
But where is the catch.
They usually give you something with one hand and take back more with the other.
I certainly cannot see it taking affect within the next 5 years.

john bunyan 14:22 25 Oct 10

"But where is the catch"

Those of us prudent or lucky enough to have a private pension as well, will be taxed on the increase at 20 - 40% depending on your total income, so a lot will go back to the revenue anyway.I suspect those less fortunate who get pension credit and housing and council tax help will find these last two will be reduced in line with the increase. Together with the admin savings in not means testing, I suspect the revenue will make a profit!!As you say:
"They usually give you something with one hand and take back more with the other."

Armchair 14:31 25 Oct 10

So, I don't have to pay National Insurance for 30 years in order to qualify for a full state pension.....

Interesting.

lotvic 14:34 25 Oct 10

They'll just knock it off the Pension Credit so end result will be the same, might even be worse as could lose fringe benefits that being on Pension Credit give (automatic Council Tax benefit etc)

BT 16:55 25 Oct 10

I had to pay it for 44 years along with most current Pensioners to qualify for full State Pension.

Bingalau 17:36 25 Oct 10

I actually paid mine from when I left school at the tender age of 14 until I retired at 65. Over 50 years. By the way income tax itself was set at about 33% for a lot of those years if I remember correctly, I am talking about the immediate post war years. (No Brumas, not the Boer war).

Armchair 18:10 25 Oct 10

They're doing away with Pension Credits.

BT and Bingalau

Whether or not you qualify for a state pension (which may be set at £140 per week per pensioner) will now depend on the amount of time you've been a British citizen or resident, not the number of years you've paid National Insurance. It's all changing.....

click here

ronalddonald 18:51 25 Oct 10

i think there should be a clause somewhere if you do get the rise and your not around to see it the next of kin should get it.

A clause like that would go down well with front line people and front line services which the gov will never acknowledge. because of is its corrupt ways.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017