With one day to go before the EU referendum

Forum Editor 10:15 16 Apr 16

I'm wondering if you have decided which way you'll be voting.

I'm not asking you to disclose which way you'll vote, although you're welcome to do so, if you wish. What I'm interested in is whether or not you have made up your mind, or whether you're undecided.

If you are still not sure, have you found that any information you've seen or heard has been helpful, or do you instinctively dismiss most of it as part of the inevitable posturing of those politicians and business leaders who have vested interests in the UK either staying in the EU or exiting?

It would be good if we can avoid diatribes against the government and/or EU mandarins - we've seen more than enough of that already. Your personal feelings about how you set about deciding are what I'm after, rather than your political leanings.

My own situation is that I'm wavering. I thought I knew exactly what we should do, but over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, and now I readily admit to not yet being 100% certain about how I'll vote.

OTT_B 11:34 16 Apr 16

Undecided.

The only reason for undecided is that there is no Brexit plan.

The key principles of a Brexit plan really should have been negotiated and presented before a referendum takes place - at the moment the referendum is really only asking 'do you want to carry on with a mild variation of what you've got, or do you want something else which you can't know about'

Do I want to take a risk? Not really.

hssutton 11:36 16 Apr 16

My experiences over medical 'treatment' has made up the mind of all our family, the NHS being one of the main reasons. As I've mentioned previously I'm an oldie who along with my 77 year old wife care 24/7 for our severely disabled daughter who requires 24 hour care. We get no help whatsoever from anywhere, but I know if we really push SS we could get some help. A couple of moths ago my wife developed a problem with her feet and was in considerable pain (FE diagnosed the problem, but unfortunately not a remedy) Unable to get a doctors appointment and treatment it was two weeks of intense pain, but my daughter still had to be looked after. A few weeks ago I had a trapped nerve at the base of the spine, but again was unable to get a doctors appointment, resulting in traveling over 120 miles just to get an Xray. We have one doctor who visits our town 3 days per week approx 12,000 inhabitants. We can give away approx £20 billion per year EU/foreign aid, but the NHS is virtually on it's last legs. The other reason and to me the most important is lack of sovereignty. {Britain is “obliged” to accept European Union laws and judgments, according to an official report slipped out by ministers ahead of the formal start of the referendum campaign). When I think of all the people who died to protect the sovereignty of our beautiful country just a a few years ago it really makes me extremely sad that a lot of people just want to give the UK away and become just a tiny part of the EU with virtually no say in the future of my beloved England and yes the whole of the UK. Sorry for the long post, but my ability with writing and composition are suffering with old age.

lotvic 12:16 16 Apr 16

I'm now half decided to vote for out, previously I was 75% for staying in. Still researching on what impact the EU's future plans will mean for ordinary folk like me. Not sure I like what I've discovered so far.

Pine Man 13:05 16 Apr 16

Nothing I have seen or heard, or expect to see or hear, will probably alter my view from what it was before the constant barrage of (mis)information began.

Nobody actually knows what is going to happen with either scenario so all are giving it their best guess. 'Experts' make pronouncements based on their years of experience and many qualifications, which are immediately 'proved' to be untrue by other, equally qualified 'experts'.

This is still being hailed as the biggest most important decision we will ever have to make and due to it's very nature there is nobody, in my opinion, that can actually help you make that decision.

The majority of 'Stay' voters don't believe a word that the 'Leave' side promote and vice versa.

Forum Editor 13:07 16 Apr 16

lotvic

The real problem, for undecided people - and I think there are many millions of us - is that nobody really knows what it would be like if we voted to exit the EU.

There is plenty of theorising, and of course a huge amount of emotional patriotic talk about our glorious country, but in truth the reality is almost a total mystery.

Our country is a wonderful one, certainly, but in the 21st century the world is a very different place to the one that saw us as empire builders. We cannot dwell in the past, I'm afraid, and that is what a lot of people are doing.

In my heart, I would love to see a fiercely independent country that stands on its own feet internationally and has influence in the world, but in my head I realise that is almost certainly a rose-tinted view of things. We can never regain the Britain of the past, and we must accept that.

On the other hand, it would be a good thing to regain some of our lost legislative control, and the freedom to decide who comes and goes across our borders.

It's all very confusing, and I defy anyone to say that they have a full understanding of the implications one way or the other. In the end, I think very large numbers of people will simply vote according to their gut feeling and that's a pretty big worry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:39 16 Apr 16

Undecided

and the £9 million spent on the leaflet didn't help one bit, thought it was very poor. Seen nothing from the "leave people"

"what's in it for me" is what most people will be asking and deciding on, not what's best for the country.

wee eddie 14:01 16 Apr 16

When I saw this post, I was hoping that you would ban conversations on this matter

Bazzaman 14:37 16 Apr 16

I'd like to think that exiting would enable us to achieve significant change for many of the things that we moan about with the EU.

However, my head tells me that the reality is that little would change outside of the EU. For example:

• Bureaucracy is unlikely to get materially less. Some areas might achieve marginal improvement at best.

• We'd still be bound by the European Convention on Human Rights and all tha entails. As it is not EU but (effectively) something standalone.

• In negotiating an trade arrangement we will still be hamstrung by rules / megabucks contributions / free movement of people etc. (as has been repeatedly stated in the media).

All that without a seat and a voice at the table.

So, the bottom line seems to be that, with Brexit, little would improve but there would be a long period of uncertainty and turmoil.

So, on balance, vote remain.

LastChip 14:55 16 Apr 16

FE, vote with your heart.

Yes, the world is a very different place, but being ruled by Brussels (and make no mistake, that's exactly what's happening) is not an option.

I've said on many occasions, we will still be trading with the whole of the world if we leave. That's a better option than being restricted in our negotiations with others, as is the case now.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, I'll be voting to leave. I want to be ruled by people I vote for (for all their faults) and not by unelected bureaucrats. I want for us to be able to control once again, who enters our country.

All the fearmongering in the world isn't going to change my view.

Nick Robinson presented a program last week on BBC2 called; Europe: Them or Us. It charted the history of our failed attempt to join and the snub Edward Heath endured, to his persuading the next French Premier to allow us entry. It revealed this was only partly about a common market but much more about political integration (in fact Winston Churchill had floated the idea some years before). He (E H) knew he wouldn't get the yes vote then by promoting political integration so he pushed the free trade area conveniently forgetting about the integration part of the deal. We were told half truths then, just as we are being told half truths now. I suspect Heaths motivation was his own damaged ego. For anyone who didn't see it and wants to, it's available on iplayer.

The program continues this week on BBC2 on Tuesday at 9.00pm. and is recommended viewing if you have any interest in this at all.

No one with any brain can concede, the document David Cameron returned with is a reformed Europe and I notice it has been quietly dropped in all of his recent diatribes about staying in. That was an insult to peoples intelligence. Furthermore, no one in the "in" camp actually has a good word to say about Europe. They simply spread fear as a to an assumed outcome, which actually, no one knows.

The one thing I do know, is nothing will change if we stay in. And therein, lies the real danger.

Toneman 15:29 16 Apr 16

I fully agree with the previous post, couldn't have put my thoughts better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…