Olympics and your daily post.

Snec 23 Jul 12

I know in advance that the Olympics, together with all the hype, is bound to annoy me at some point (yes, I'm an old curmudgeonly) but I didn't expect it to set in quite so early.

I regularly buy items from overseas and have just been advised by of my suppliers that they will not be delivering again until after the Olympics are finished.

Fortunately it's only a hobby so not a major predicament but this is sure to cause real problems for some.

interzone55 23 Jul 12

Most retailers in London already get their deliveries during the night, but couriers will not be able to do this for Joe Public, so I would imagine they'll avoid London like the plague for the next few weeks

Snec 23 Jul 12

alan14

The problem is the increase to security. The suppliers say deliveries will take too long, with more parcels being checked, and it will cause them less fuss to stop deliveries altogether for the duration rather than dealing with customers complaining of late deliveries.

Quickbeam 23 Jul 12

I thought that Snec was going to suggest we make a daily Olympics post & comment.

Woolwell 23 Jul 12

Quickbeam - mindful of the TV thread I dread to think what morddwyd would make of daily postings about the Olympics. But AitchBee will probably be up to the task!

Not delivering until after the Olympics sounds ridiculous. So there will be delays but these are better than none at all.

wiz-king 23 Jul 12

Parcelforce have put a £1 surcharge on a parcel for delivery to most of London and Royal Mail are suspending delivery garentees for recorded and special delivery. Anything for delivery in the Olympic area must go via DHL who are the designated carriers.

Snec 23 Jul 12

Whether or not it is ridiculous I can only tell you what I've been told. It could be that they have been made aware of the security debacle and do not want to run the risk of the parcels being damaged by greenhorn security staff causing them unnecessary costs in replacements. We're not talking a few bob here.

Aitchbee 23 Jul 12

Woolwell - my keyboard fingers are now on carbohydrates...and a mackerel-free diet, and will 'peak' roundabout Olympic time.

Forum Editor 23 Jul 12

Aitchbee

I can't wait.

Aitchbee 23 Jul 12

You will have a grandstand seat, FE :o]

Forum Editor 23 Jul 12

In which case I think I'll threaten to take industrial action unless I'm paid an Olympic bonus for handling the increased load of Aitchbee posts.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to set up Apple Music & make sure you don't get charged: Get Apple Music for free

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message