Olympic Torch Relay

DANZIG 11:35 06 Apr 08

Just watching this now on News24.

What an absolute nightmare that must be to police.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:48 06 Apr 08

I don't think the Tibetan people are having much of a laugh as well.

G

sunny staines 15:59 06 Apr 08

the coverage looks terrible, police might have a tough time but the coverage made GB look bad. a torch could not be carried without such a huge posse of police. i think the event would have been better being cancelled due to the disruption from protesters.

DANZIG 16:02 06 Apr 08

It looks like absolute mayhem down there.

peg 16:24 06 Apr 08

it looks bad for GB the Olympics and the Tibetan protesters, no winners that I can see although it draws attention to the Tibetan problem cant see it having any influence on China.

Noldi 16:26 06 Apr 08

It was a victory for the protesters to get that much coverage on international news, I agree with GANDALF not much fun if you live in Tibet.

Noldi

Forum Editor 16:37 06 Apr 08

doesn't have to directly affect the government of China in order to be effective.

If the rest of the world can start to understand what is going on in Tibet it may be enough - no government, not even one as apparently inscrutable as that of the Chinese Peoples' Republic can withstand world opinion indefinitely.

I hope they begin to realise that their days of behaving just how they like with regard to human rights are numbered.

Legolas 17:15 06 Apr 08

The more "peaceful" disruption the better if it draws attention to the Tibetan problem and human rights in general in China

techie4me 17:24 06 Apr 08

Their was a boycott of the 1980 games in Moscow because Russia were in Afghanistan.
4 years on in LA (USA), Russia were still in Afghanistan but their seemed not if any large protests.

I thought the idea of the Olympic movement was to bring all World counties together.
Should politics be a part of sport?

techie4me 17:26 06 Apr 08

Their was a boycott of the 1980 games in Moscow because Russia were in Afghanistan.
4 years on in LA (USA), Russia were still in Afghanistan but their seemed not if any large protests.

I thought the idea of the Olympic movement was to bring all World countries together.
Should politics be a part of sport?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:21 06 Apr 08

'I thought the idea of the Olympic movement was to bring all World countries together.
Should politics be a part of sport?'...it is a huge money making machine especially for the less than honest organising committee. Sport has little to do with it. It is therefore a legit target.

To quote the wide-eyed and clearly witless Konnie Huq..'tee-hee/giggle, giggle, we should be glad to be in a country where protest is allowed, tee-hee, giggle/wide-eyed look'. Hey Koonie, ever tried your own protest by not holding the torch? tee-hee, giggle, giggle.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009