Old people and dementia

carver 20:43 20 Sep 08

After reading this article by Baroness Warnock I just hope that some one puts her out of her misery.

How any one can put pen to paper and come out with these comments defies belief, I thought that in todays society we were more enlightened about the elderly and the role they have to play, any way in my opinion she should be pushed down that route because she's clearly bonkers.

click here

crosstrainer 20:46 20 Sep 08

An appalling way of looking at things, and she further defended her grotesque ideas on Radio Four this morning.

Frankly I was lost for words.

spuds 22:54 20 Sep 08

There is nothing new about this, wasn't Hitler's WW2 death camps set up for the extermination of people with certain types of illness's.Wasn't they also manned by experts in their field of medicine and science.

The same could perhaps be said for 'ethnic cleansing' and vigilantes of yesteryear and even today.

Choice of death can take all forms, whether through ones own hands or that of another, but sometimes we do not have that choice, it is decided by others, wrong or right. How many hospital world-wide have a 'do not resuscitate' policy. It happens but they sure ain't going to broadcast it.

In the case of this lady, it would appear as though she as been controversial most of her life, and I suppose as an 'expert' she as a right to state what she thinks is right. Not everyone is going to agree with her or people with similar thoughts of this nature.

DieSse 23:35 20 Sep 08

I would sincerely trust that when I reach the advanced stages of any terminal condition - be it cancer, dementia or whatever - that I might be allowed - even assisted to slip away comfortably.

I've never agreed with the current obsession that to be alive in any state is somehow better than being dead.

It's my life, and I claim an ABSOLUTE right to decide under what conditions it should end.

Forum Editor 23:51 20 Sep 08

that if somebody absolutely, desperately wants to die because they are a burden to their family or the state, then I think they too should be allowed to die."

And so do I.

I think that it might be an idea to really read what Mary Warnock has written, rather than what the Daily Mail has written, before saying that she's "clearly bonkers". She's far from bonkers,she's one of those people who occasionally say things that other people have been thinking.

As for "the elderly and the role they have to play", I take it you have never known anyone with advanced Altzheimers? I have, and I assure you that there was no role being played whatsovever. Dementias are horrible, and there's nothing whatever wrong with suggesting that people who are in the advanced stages of Altzheimers should be afforded the opportunity of ending their lives if that's what they wish.

Baroness Warnock didn't put pen to paper and come out with these comments - someone else did. She was being interviewed by a magazine, and the Daily Mail has written it up into this article.

DieSse 23:56 20 Sep 08

And we're not talking about "the elderly and the role they have to play"

We're talking about advanced dementia - which can include loss of control of bodily functions, loss of awareness, inability to feed or even stay awake.

Not bumping off people who're a tad forgetful.

DieSse 23:58 20 Sep 08

Oh gosh FE - agreeing again - what's happening??

carver 23:59 20 Sep 08

Interesting statements, but if you take her line of thinking then it wouldn't be your decision but some one else.

You had better not forget your wifes birthday or anniversary, or start having SENIOR moments, or it could be the chop.

I'm just glad that I don't live in her world, because where would other people fit in who had certain disability's, would they also be put down at birth.

rdave13 00:09 21 Sep 08

Again the argument comes in, in that if you are of sound mind, knowing that you have an incurable disease, you would wish euthanasia.
The trouble begins is when one can deem themselves better off dead rather than living and at what stage of life this decision can be made?
Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, as cancer and other ailments, so when can an individual, be judged of sound mind, consent to his/her own death?
I am still of the opinion that euthanasia should be illegal.

DieSse 00:16 21 Sep 08

I don't know why you dpn'y read what she actually said, rather then accusing her of things she clearly didn't say.

Quote -

'I am absolutely, fully in agreement with the argument that if pain is insufferable, then someone should be given help to die, but I feel there is a wider argument that if somebody absolutely, desperately wants to die because they are a burden to their family or the state, then I think they too should be allowed to die.'

Unquote

Basically - if you have a terminal condition and want to die, you should be allowed to.

It's my inalienable right to do so. You should not be allowed to stop me. You are fully entitled to have a different view but you are absolutely not morally allowed to force your view upon me.

DieSse 00:19 21 Sep 08

"The trouble begins is when one can deem themselves better off dead rather than living and at what stage of life this decision can be made?"

At any stage - it's MY life, MY right, MY decision.

You can make your own decisions - keep away from mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5