Oil price hits six-month high of $83.45

wids001 19:55 01 Nov 10

More increases at the pumps no doubt.

Whatever happened to this governments' proposed fuel tax stabiliser?

Sounded like a good idea when first mooted. The government would set a marker price for a litre of fuel. When the price went up, fuel tax would be reduced. If the price went down then fuel tax would go up, thus stabilizing the price.

spuds 22:41 01 Nov 10

This is all getting very confusing again. Three weeks ago I filled up at our local supermarket fuel station, then last week the price went up, this week I notice that the price as come down again.

birdface 01:23 02 Nov 10

Always January to look forward to.
VAT goes up then which will make fuel about 13p a gallon dearer.

spuds 09:55 02 Nov 10

If reports are correct, then the 13p rise will have already occurred before the vat increase, so making an even bigger concern for the public and commerce.

HWJC 18:15 02 Nov 10

There is only a finite amount of fuel. Find more efficient ways of using it. Don't wait for prices to go up or phony taxes. Using less to do the same thing costs less - that's motivation enough without worrying about peak oil.

johndrew 19:44 02 Nov 10

It is interesting though that prices vary so much around the country. For example, I pay £1.219/litre for diesel locally but travel some 60 miles to see my brother and it's £1.199/litre. I am aware the supermarkets gauge their prices against a local 'average' (competition) but given overall oil prices and the relatively evenly located distribution points there does appear to be an interesting spread.

Still now that oil has exceeded $85/barrel perhaps it wont be very long until the next hike which may even things out.

karmgord 19:52 02 Nov 10

Not to worry, I'm sure petrol prices will rise as slowly as they fall when the spot prices go down.

morddwyd 21:10 02 Nov 10

On Colonsay it's already £1.48!

Quiller. 21:18 02 Nov 10

but with a gallon of fuel you could drive around it 10 times. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac