An offer from EDF

jack 12:22 30 Jul 09

In this morning post a circular letter from EDF, following the recent power out making an offer of £50 compensation..
Fine I shall apply.
Then I thought - I am an EDF customer -my friends around the corner are not- did they get a similar letter making the same oferf?
Apparently not - so far.
Will they via their 'supplier' I wonder?
Gas and Electric s Utilities like the railways have a national network controller and a whole chain of retailers/factors/collection agents if you will.
Will they eventually be compensated?
Time will tell

dagbladet 13:49 30 Jul 09

Wasn't it vandals setting fire to power wires or something? If so seems quite generous of the power company to me.

JanetO 14:40 30 Jul 09

...Wasn't it vandals setting fire to power wires or something? If so seems quite generous of the power company to me...

Well it doesn't to me. If you're a family with young kids completely without power for several days £50 wouldn't pay for 1 night's accomodation in a B & B. If it was vandals or not the power company should have tighter security. If I was one of the sufferers I'd sue them for a lot more.

dagbladet 15:00 30 Jul 09

That's the good old blitz spirit.

Let's sue!

Who do you think will end up paying the exorbitant legal fees that EDF will face when all these people who for some reason found it preferable to move their families out of the area into B&Bs, sue the company?

Okimot 15:08 30 Jul 09

Got £50 from British Gas several years ago when our gas supply was cut off so that they could repair a leak in the pavement outside our house. It was off for more than 24 hours. The repair was done by contractors and I was with another company for the gas supply. But BG are responsible for the gas main up to the gas meter.

Colin 18:56 30 Jul 09

"If it was vandals or not the power company should have tighter security." What an attitude. Nothing to do with the scroats who did this, it's all EDF's fault. Why should they be sued? Just because they're a large utility company doesn't make them fair game, as a lot of people seem to think.

VCR97 19:39 30 Jul 09

How do you secure umpteen miles of cable?

Stuartli 19:50 30 Jul 09

Knee jerk reaction with little or no thought put into it.

oresome 20:27 30 Jul 09

"Normally people could claim under the Guaranteed Standards for electricity companies for a major disruption to their power supply.

But in this situation companies have a get-out cause under the Civil Contingencies Act if it is proven that this week’s problems have been caused by vandalism. If this is the case, the power companies had no control over the power cut and are therefore not liable for any compensation claims."

click here

Stuartli 23:28 30 Jul 09

>>If this is the case, the power companies had no control over the power cut and are therefore not liable for any compensation claims.">>

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The lack of discipline these days has a lot to answer for in the case of a comparatively small number of younger people.

jack 08:21 31 Jul 09

I am aware of the 'Cause out side the control of... 'proviso- perfectly natural-, however what I posed was something else entirely, so pay attention.
EDF control this bit of the net work.
Whilst pointing out the 'Not our fault ' clause they never the less made this generous offer to their retail[if you will] customers

What I pondered was - what about those consumers who although equally affected are not EDF customers.
Will they get the offer via their 'supplier' bearing in mind the no matter who collectes their bill- the supply is still EDF/National grid.
We shall no doubt find out in the coming days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…