This is odd ...

Clapton is God 10:43 22 Nov 08

For years I've used click here to test my BB speed.

During all of that time I've averaged around 3.9 Mbps (I'm on an 'up to' 8 Mbps package). I'm not unhappy with this as I use a USB modem at the end of long telephone extension cable.

Today I've done several speed tests at the same site and my speed has suddenly shot up to around 5.7 Mbps.

I'm not complaining, just bemused!!

Forum Editor 10:47 22 Nov 08

is currently running at 5.8, so your reading seems about right. The difference between that and your previous readings may be due to improvement work carried out to the underground cables by BT.

syylo 10:54 22 Nov 08

FE you work for the House of commons then..?? "My home office connection"..lol

Bingalau 10:57 22 Nov 08

Clapton is God. I've just run a check and the readings I get on mine are, Download 9851 and Upload 480. I have no idea what that means but no doubt someone will now enlighten me. I am on cable by the way.

Forum Editor 10:57 22 Nov 08

That would be Home Office, not home office.

smokingbeagle 11:01 22 Nov 08

I got 3 readings in the 7.4 - 7.5 Mbps range. Improbable.

Forum Editor 11:02 22 Nov 08

It means you have a very fast connection. The higher reading is the downstream speed - it measures how rapidly your browser is downloading the code from sites you visit.

The upstream speed, which is always much slower, measures the rate at which your browser sends input data back to the server. When you post in this thread your browser sends your text to our server at 480kbps.

Clapton is God 11:03 22 Nov 08

Download means you're getting around 9.8 Mbps compared to my 5.7 Mbps.

Although, being cable, I guess you're on an up to 10 or 20 Mbps package??

smokingbeagle 11:03 22 Nov 08

I should've stated that my connection is ADSL and not cable and I live about 420 yards from the Telephone Exchange.

Clapton is God 11:07 22 Nov 08

My previous post was addressed to Bingalau.

Assuming you're on a standard up to 8 Mbps ADSL package, your readings are about right given that you virtually live in the bloody exchange!

Forum Editor 11:09 22 Nov 08

Which explains your higher connection speed. You have a very short line length, and that influences the maximum speed at which an ADSL connection runs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5