Number 10 Spokesman on MPs "Daily Allowance"

hssutton 09:12 24 Apr 09

One of the advantages of a daily allowance is that it gives them an incentive to attend.

This statement read out by David Dimbleby on Question Time last night

newman35 09:14 24 Apr 09

.. and was met by much audience laughter!

Beggars belief, what will they think up next?
Talk about engaging the brain before speaking!!

OTT_Buzzard 09:20 24 Apr 09

Good grief.

sunnystaines 09:23 24 Apr 09

turn up stay ten mins then go home.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:03 24 Apr 09

One would have hoped that an annual salary of about £64,766 would have been enough incentive to attend. This is getting to be farcical especially when the general public are being laid off, put on short time, losing overtime and getting naff all interest from their savings.

G.

lofty29 10:28 24 Apr 09

For a start MP's will be voting on any proposals and I connot see them voting for anything which leaves them worse off. To my mind the solution is simple, set up a deal with someone like travelodge whereby any MP who has to stay overnight in london gets a room free of charge for how ever many nights they need to be there, this should not cost more than about £60 a night, they can pay for their own food. Money would be paid direct to the company, but this of course would not be accepted by the MP's as there would be no chance for fiddles.

dagnammit 10:33 24 Apr 09

Gravy+Train=No Stopping

Stuartli 10:48 24 Apr 09

One wag tagged the attendance pay proposal by the PM - now dead in the water - as SOSO.

Sign On, Slope Off.

OTT_Buzzard 11:03 24 Apr 09

I still can't undersand why they don't just a 'receipt only' expenses system.

Who here has worked in a company in the last few years that would let you claim overnight expenses without producing a receipt?

It's not heard of anymore in the private sector. Why should the public sector be any different?

Picklefactory 11:22 24 Apr 09

Justification and accountability

Everything we spend in our business resolves around that. MPs are often businessmen/women or seem to soon become that when out of office. They should already have a good understanding of these principles.

In fact, in hindsight, I would guess they all do, it simply comes down to the basic fact that they set their own rules, and that, in my opinion, is the basic wrong here. There should be some sort of independent ombudsman to oversee the fairness and economic soundness of the system.

I would like to think that the majority of MPs, as in any role in any sector, will adhere to the rules. But the rules need to be correct in the first place.

Marko797 11:51 24 Apr 09

Strikes me that this is not rocket science, and Lofty29 is on the right tracks. MPs need to look to the private sector.

As most of us are aware, the majority of companies have agreements of sorts with hotel chains. If a company employee needs accom, then this is booked through a Shared Services Facility, as are travel arrangements, if required. It's a very efficient and effective service.

The hotel booking service allows for accom, subsistence (usually evening meal), and sundry items such as newspaper, 2 or 3 items from the bar, etc. It's quite clearly laid out on the booking documentation what is included and to what value, and hotels are fully aware too. Anything outside of this, then the cost is borne by the employee.

I see no reason why this cannot be applied to MPs, apart from the fact that they would not like it. Tough.

The government is always talking about driving cost efficiencies here, there, and everywhere, but not in their own backyard, it would appear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant