Nuclear Threat from North Korea

What do you think? What is your thoughts? Do you think they will launch it? should we be worried? I saw it on Sky News HD(517)

BBC News Link Below
click here

Quickbeam 11:08 24 Jul 10

We've become complacent over how deadly atomic weapons are since the Japanese bombings.

Sadly there will be an exchange between two would be super powers like these two, or India and Pakistan, or Iran and Israel before we respect nukes for another 60 years or so.

But I still believe that we no longer need the size of nuclear arsenal that we have, who is the UN going to let us nuke?

johndrew 11:08 24 Jul 10

During the height of the 'cold war' many of us knew that in the event of a 'launch' our life expectancy was not particularly great. For those who may have survived such an episode the outlook was not very bright. There were many episodes where tensions were heightened by NATO or Warsaw Pact exercises but these were short lived and soon cooled. It took Cuba to really bring things close to boiling.

Hopefully this will be more sabre rattling by the DPRK although it is quite well reported that this failed state has massive problems internally. Such problems may, in the eyes of the current rulers, be a way of resolving some (if not all) of these problems. China is its main 'friend' and I doubt they would want such an exchange which could cause their direct intervention.

I doubt if a nuclear response to exercises of the type planned will occur but unstable regimes have done unlikely things in the past. I feel it is more likely the DPRK are attempting to impose their will on a country (the USA) which is not particularly popular with them. I doubt this will wash and a lot more rhetoric will follow.

I agree. After all there have been more threats and so on and none have went off. I bet from a week from now it will be like there was no threat at all.

sunnystaines 12:37 24 Jul 10

biggest nuclear threat is iran v isreal, if iran gets the bomb the mullahs are mad enough to martyr their country in a nuclear war with israel.

n.korea is a master at bluff.

spuds 12:38 24 Jul 10

Whatever the case, someone somewhere will want bigger powers over other nations, especially in times of famine and internal governmental distress. If they have 'super-power' devices, then that will be the threat and power bargaining motives and incentives.

When 'the' day eventually comes, a few specially trained and selected decontamination or early warning teams are not going to be of much help.

But I do believe that some countries are building special bunkers into major road building projects ;o)

Kevscar1 13:01 24 Jul 10

North Korea have threatend war every timeUS/South Korea have held execises since the Armistic was signed.

Kevscar1 14:34 24 Jul 10

considering every arab nation threatened to commit genocide and wipe the isreali nation from the face of the planet and the number of wars launched against them I can't really blame the israelis for getting the bomb.

johndrew 15:51 24 Jul 10

Can you tell me the last time Israel made an unprovoked attack on Iran? To my knowledge all attacks made by Israel have been retaliatory regardless of the country concerned. Added to which I have never seen any indication of Israel even threatening anyone with a nuclear weapon regardless of where or with whose tacit, or otherwise, agreement it was obtained.

On the other hand USA has used and threatened to use nuclear force and several nations, such as Iran, have made it quite clear that ownership of such weapons would permit their aim to be achieved in removing the Israelis from the face of the earth..

jakimo 17:08 24 Jul 10

This is so unlike 1962 when the US were on the brink of nuclear war during the Cuban Missile crisis,that was for real.

North Korea is making its usual threats,hoping the Americans will again offer them massive aid which they are so desperate for in return for a stand off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…