NTL to merge with Virgin

Strawballs 12:36 26 Jan 07

I had a letter from NTL yesterday informing me that they are to merge with Virgin to become Virgin Media (sounds more like a virgin take over with that name) will have to waite and see if that is a good thing, only hope they don't start introducing a "Fair use policy" which to me means that it is NOT unlimited.

Kate B 12:42 26 Jan 07

This is old news - it's part of a trend in telecoms suppliers, you'll see a lot of it. The aim is to be an integrated supplier of telecoms services, such as voice, mobile, broadband and TV. Virgin, in typical schoolboy style, calls this "fourplay". The idea is to get you to sign up for the whole package.

Strawballs 12:44 26 Jan 07

If it is "old news" why wer we the NTL customers only informed about it yesterday I was not the only one all of my friends in this area with NTL were informed only very recently.

Monument 13:36 26 Jan 07

click here - in the news April 2006.

It is probable that it has taken this long to implement.

Strawballs 13:47 26 Jan 07

Monument That news item says that NTL are to buy Virgin Mobile but all the paparework that I recieved yesterday was for the other way round, it was all signed by Richard Branson and if NTL was buying Virgin mobile surely it would not be called Virgin Media?

Kate B 14:36 26 Jan 07

If you kept even half an eye on the business pages you'd have known about this ages ago.

Strawballs 14:40 26 Jan 07

Being a chargehand in shipbuilding with computers as a hobby why would I want to read the buisness pages?

Jackcoms 14:46 26 Jan 07

"Being a chargehand in shipbuilding with computers as a hobby why would I want to read the buisness pages?"

Because the business pages are probably the first place you'd hear about any problems your employer might be having. ;-))

Kate B 15:05 26 Jan 07

Not a criticism, merely an observation, but it's no chore to skim over the business pages when you're reading a paper anyway. The telecoms sector is really interesting at the moment: the old model of making money, especially for BT, is dead, and the companies in it have to find new ways of surviving. The move to offer packages of voice, broadband, TV and mobile is, they think, the way forward and there's a lot of consolidation going on there as exemplified by the Virgin/NTL deal.

Mind you, as Strawballs points out, keeping an eye out specifically for news about your employer and generally about any issues that might affect the sector is not a bad idea. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that. Particularly in a declining sector such as shipbuilding!

Monument 15:39 26 Jan 07

It is NTL buying Vigin Mobile - A cynic might think NTL has such a bad PR that it has chosen the Virgin media name to hide the NTL connection to those unaware of the buy out.

Kate B 15:44 26 Jan 07

Virgin has the bigger brand presence and people feel a lot warmer and fluffier about Virgin than they do about NTL, which has had its problems as a cable provider. It's an obvious move to take the virgin name, not the other way round.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…