Now You're a Grown Up -

laurie53 08:04 12 Aug 08

When you were a child did you vow that when you grew up you would always, or never, do something that your parents or environment did not permit you to do as a child?

I don't mean the obvious things like drinking or smoking, but something maybe a bit more personal, just to you.

For instance, I swore that when I had my own money and/or household I would always have butter not margarine.

That has lasted over sixty odd years, even though my wife nearly always uses margarine herself because she prefers it.

johndrew 09:51 12 Aug 08

`.. would always have butter .. .. That has lasted over sixty odd years ..`

Ah yes, but with the way prices are going and being on a fixed(?) income, how much longer will you be able to keep it up?

I have noticed the rather large increase in the cost of our weekly shop and some luxuries are already feeling the strain. I`m certain it`s not just me.

crosstrainer 09:59 12 Aug 08

I have yet to grow up :)

GRIDD 10:00 12 Aug 08

I basically vowed to behave the opposite to my parents. The wife had a similar up bringing to mine and she feels much the same:

1. We have a joint bank account - no fighting over money.
2. We don't have secrets - the kids are taught that from the off. Growing up I used to hate hearing the "Don't tell your da" and the "Don't tell your ma" speeches from my parents.
3. We don't break promises - I don't know how many times my parents promised me something and then broke the promise.

Cymro. 10:27 12 Aug 08

I promised myself that I would not interfere in my children's lives once they had reached the age of 18. As it happens I have been fairly successful in this although I must admit it has been difficult at times.

ventanas 10:39 12 Aug 08

I'm a bloke, I'll never grow up.

jack 10:48 12 Aug 08

Ditto
When ours reached the magical age----
We changed the locks

Clapton is God 12:13 12 Aug 08

"We changed the locks"

And were the children indoors or outdoors at the time??

recap 13:01 12 Aug 08

I vowed that I would never hit my children because when I was growing up my father used to hit me with whatever was at hand. It wasn't the hitting that hurt it was the staying in when friends called for me. So that is how I punished my son's by sending them to their rooms. To this day I have never hit them.

Like Cymro, I have never interfered in my children's lives unless asked for guidance. After 18 they are old enough to make their own decisions. I agree that it is difficult at times and I have had to bite my tongue so to speak.

Bingalau 13:16 12 Aug 08

I also only eat what we used to know as "best Butter" and even more so after reading about the fact that some margarines are just plastic. But when we were children we couldn't afford butter anyway so I was brought up on marge. My breakfast every morning before I went to work at 07.00 was three slices of bread and marge, I took 10d (old pence) for dinner in a wartime "British Restaurant" (good substantial stodge including a jam roly poly pudding with custard afterwards). My mum always had a decent meal on the table in spite of rationing, when I got home as well. But hey, there were not many obese children in those days and I was still a child at the age of 14 but going to work.

My wife and I have never argued over money, we always combined our earnings no matter who was earning the most at the time. We have also always had a joint bank account, once we had enough money to start saving that is. I can't understand these men who give their wives a certain amount of cash a week from their wages etc. But there seems to be an awful lot of them.

laurie53 14:00 12 Aug 08

I once had a colleague who said that once he could afford a new razor blade every day he regarded himself as totally successful.

It's just the small things isn't it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…