Now where did they get that from?

Legolas 15:49 08 Mar 09

I just received a spam email something to do with how I can beat the credit crunch. Nothing strange in it you might say but it was addressed to "Legolas" now this forum is the only place I use that name, so where did they get it from? Are spammers trailing through web forums and picking up names and how did they put my forum name and my email together?

WhiteTruckMan 16:03 08 Mar 09

Maybe you've corresponded with someone via the yellow envelope?

WTM

oresome 16:03 08 Mar 09

"Yes, please allow my details to be used by carefully selected partners of PC Advisor to keep me informed about products, services and special offers (untick box if not required)"

Did you agree to this statement?

Legolas 16:35 08 Mar 09

I may well have done but it is so long ago since I joined here that I am not sure. It just seems strange that after all this time I should receive an email with my PC Advisor user name attached.

ashdav 16:53 08 Mar 09

Your email details are probably on someones computer that you have conversed with and THEY have picked up a nasty that uses all their addresses to spam to.

last starfighter 17:06 08 Mar 09

id be thinking FE may be able to suggest something..

Forum Editor 18:06 08 Mar 09

using your forum name and email address are me, or someone with whom you've corresponded via the yellow envelope.

If you still have the email,forward it to me so I can take a look.

Legolas 21:14 08 Mar 09

I have only used the yellow envelope a couple of times in my many years on the forum. I was just surprised to see my forum name on an email. Unfortunately I deleted the email but if I get another one I will forward it to you

laurie53 08:20 09 Mar 09

If it's not the yellow envelope then it must be the FE trying to get through the credit crunch by selling our addresses`on!

Quickbeam 08:21 09 Mar 09

I doubt that during this credit crunch, banks would lend money to anyone with a ridiculous name like Legolas, or Clapton is God, or White Truck Man, or Fruit Bat /\0/\, or BIG Ben strikes 10 again!, or Grey Goo, or...

Mind you, maybe that's where they went wrong...

dagnammit 10:54 12 Mar 09

I'm sure the FE finds your accusation quite funny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017