and now for some thing different

carver 17:52 26 May 14
Answered

It's about time we had some thing different and this certainly different blue honey so who wants to try some of this.

Shame they have sorted problem out and we will not get any, blue honey on toast it would get the kids interested.

Forum Editor 18:03 26 May 14

I kept bees for years, and once found some honey that was an odd shade of mauve. I discovered that a university was doing some research on moths, and the team was using mauve-dyed sugar solution to attract them at night.

It was dyed to prevent people from eating it apparently. They spread the gloopy stuff on large trays, and left it there. Moths came at night, but during daytime my bees were having a fine old time with it. It went on for weeks and the dye passed into the honey. It tasted good, but nobody wanted it, so I ditched all twenty pounds of it.

wee eddie 18:34 26 May 14

Last week I had some Garlic Honey. Not bad with cheese but I can't see it catching on.

morddwyd 18:41 26 May 14

I was once somewhere, can't remember where, where there was a sugar shortage but plenty of honey, and we used it for some weeks as a sweetener.

It was quite successful.. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was the sweetener of choice before sugar became cheaply available. Much healthier of course.

john bunyan 18:45 26 May 14

"it was the sweetener of choice before sugar became cheaply available. Much healthier of course."

Yes, before we and others sent millions of slaves to the sugar plantations in the West Indies etc. Just reading "Empire" by Jeremy Paxman and had forgotten just how big the slave trade was.

Forum Editor 18:54 26 May 14

"Much healthier of course."

Maybe a little healthier, but not much.There's an awful lot of guff talked about honey.

The big problem with honey is that it contains roughly 55% fructose (fruit sugar) and studies suggest that eating a lot of fructose could predispose you to obesity, heart disease and liver disease.

You'll hear people saying that honey is 'packed' with good things, and it's true that it contains niacin, riboflavin, thiamin and vitamin B6, but only in very small amounts - no more than 2% at best.

Honey is a natural product, but so is sugar, and your body doesn't care whether it gets honey or cane sugar, it's all the same as far as it is concerned.

Honey can certainly help with some health issues, like sore throats and sinus infections, and it has a mild anti-bacterial action if you apply it to a wound. Cane sugar can't help with any of those.

On balance it's healthier to eat honey rather than sugar, but only just.

It's delicious on toast, and when added to many other foods, but I can't stand it in tea or coffee.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:04 26 May 14

"Yes, before we and others sent millions of slaves to the sugar plantations in the West Indies etc. Just reading "Empire" by Jeremy Paxman and had forgotten just how big the slave trade was."

Much of Bristol was built with slave trade money.

morddwyd 10:03 27 May 14

FE

I always thought that refined sugar was one of the unhealthiest foods around?

I seem to remember one nutritionist saying that if it was invented today it would be subject to the same regulation as some of the artificial colourings and flavourings.

carver 10:24 27 May 14

morddwyd "I always thought that refined sugar was one of the unhealthiest foods around?"

You are so right about that, it contains nothing that could be classed as nutritionally good for you.

But it's use is so widespread, it can make a very unappetising product into something you just have to eat.

Forum Editor 12:18 27 May 14

morddwyd

"I always thought that refined sugar was one of the unhealthiest foods around?"

If you eat a lot of it your health will certainly suffer, but no more than if you eat a lot of unrefined sugar.

In its unrefined state sugar contains molasses and minute traces of other substances. These are so minute that to all intents and purposes they can be ignored. The refining process removes the brown colour that imparted by the molasses, and you end up with white sugar crystals.The process involves heating the raw sugar with water, and filtering the resulting solution to clarify and purify it. What remains is a pale yellow liquid that is then passed through carbon filters to remove all trace of colour. What remains is crystallised out to make the sugar we're all familiar with. It is 99% pure sucrose, and 1% carbohydrate.

Brown sugar, oddly enough, goes through a similar process, and then has the molassess added back. It's the molasses which gives the colour and characteristic taste; otherwise it's exactly the same as white sugar.

Basically, all sugar is harmful if consumed in large enough quantities, and that includes honey. Keep your daily consumption to no more than about 50 grammes and you'll be fine. Eat too much and your immune system will suffer, as will your body's capacity to store B vitamins.

All cane and beet sugars are 'natural' by the way - refining simply changes the physical characteristics of the product. Don't let anyone tell you that raw sugar is 'healthier', because it isn't.

fourm member 12:22 27 May 14

Given that 'fancy' sugars tend to be more expensive than everyday white can anyone think of a reason for people being told white is the baddie?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…