Now Scottish Power!

wids001 08:12 20 Nov 10

First Scottish & Soujthern increased their prices. Then British Gas. Now Scottish Power.

Who next - Eon, EDF???

So where's the competition?

The utility companies are operating like a cartel and this needs urgent Government intervention.

n47. 08:29 20 Nov 10

1)
A lot of these companies, with financial backing from the government have been promoting the benefits of insulation and heat efficiently. Loft insulation, double glassing, cavity wall insulation and even central heating insulation have been given to those on low incomes or discounted to house holders. This makes the houses more efficient and therefore use less energy.

It is the mandate of the energy company's to flog energy. If there is a reduction in use of energy, you increase prices to maintain income levels, keep profit levels constant and please shareholders.

2)
The winter fuel allowance is out, see other thread. So a vast amount of the population has an extra amount of cash to pay for the increase, even though some advocate they don't need the cash and will spend it on luxuries.

Where did I put my tin hat.

gengiscant 08:47 20 Nov 10

Do you actually think that this government, in fact any government,care.Big business runs the country in fact the world, money talks as they say.

The facts that those of us are on limited income will either have to make economies elsewhere or suffer the cold, seems not to matter to governments,businesses, even though in real terms pensions and even wages have dropped we are expected to find the extra money to pay for the many price increases on essentials.

Yet we have never had it so good,we are all in this together, I have become a virtual prisoner in my own home as I need to keep what little spare money I have to pay to transport cost to regular hospital appointment. Before anyone should mention that help is available,the words jumping,through and hoops spring to mind,no pun intended.

I was speaking to my GP the other day who also expressed concerns that we do not seem to have a compassionate governments anymore in regards to our own population.
Yet we through tens of millions of foreign aid to countries that we want to do big business with.
The most recent visit to China of the Prime minister and 50 or so top business leaders, views were expressed that human right really should not be mentioned in case it had a detrimental effect on trade. Yet there is a post here about a Chinese threat if governments show support for a Nobel prize winner.
If governments show any support FE it will be muted,less it effects trade.

My apologies'wids001' I have wandered away from your topic,we the British have for to long accepted our lot, rip of Britain is as relevant today as it ever was, there will be no government intervention, after all any rise in MP's fuel costs will be claimed on expenses, big bosses will award themselves larger pay rises and bonus,the toothless Ofgem will do nothing and the rest of us will have to get on with it and stop wingeing after all these are hard times, so we are told.

Apologies for rant,bad night.

n47. 08:51 20 Nov 10

Good post.

john 52 10:21 20 Nov 10

Well said gengiscant its also a pity all our utilities were sold off and still they do not learn by there mistakes

Forum Editor 10:36 20 Nov 10

So, you think that fuel prices would be lower if the power generating and supply industries were state-owned do you?

That's a misguided view; fuel costs would be no lower, you can't suddenly create fossil fuel supplies, just because the people own the business. Fuel cost rises are inevitable - we're using energy at an increasing rate, whilst fossil fuel supplies are being depleted - that's a recipe for rising prices.

The keys to the energy problem are:-

1. Make economies - use less electricity and gas, and insulate our homes and offices to the hilt.

2. Find and develop sources of sustainable energy.

3. Improve fossil fuel extraction technologies, so less accessible deposits become less expensive to extract.

We can all help with the first option - the others will be handled by commercial concerns; the fuel generating and supply companies who have a vested interest in the future of energy supplies, and the technology industry.

wids001 15:44 20 Nov 10

gengiscant:

Excellent comments:

FE:

Are you a shareholder! ... Use less - and the price goes up and up and up to ensure the shareholders get their dividends and these utility companies maintain their excessive profits.

As I have mentioned on other threads, these obscene rises do not happen in many of our ECC partners where price rises are regulated by government.

Surely, something will have to be done to rein in these price rises else the governments' policy on cut the debt will go out of the window as more and more people are forced into poverty thus increasing the benefit bill. And I am not just talking about the unemployed. Millions of employeed have been forced to take pay cuts and pay freezes.

john 52 17:28 20 Nov 10

Forum Editor

" its also a pity all our utilities were sold off"
So, you think that fuel prices would be lower if the power generating and supply industries were state-owned do you?
??That's a misguided view; fuel costs would be no lower, you can't suddenly create fossil fuel supplies, just because the people own the business. Fuel cost rises are inevitable - we're using energy at an increasing rate, whilst fossil fuel supplies are being depleted - that's a recipe for rising prices.

click here

The link above may help you understand why providing cheaper prices to the customer is possible especially if you take the other utility companies profits into the equation .
Any utility has one object just as any company does and that is to return a profit to the shareholders and as you say our fossil fuel supplies are being depleted INVESTMENT is needed into the industry not large amounts being taken out to pay shareholders .
Privatization does not work it has been proved many times in the past and still they continue down this route

wids001 09:51 21 Nov 10

N47:

I too have just received my £400 winter fuel allowance, so I am not worried about keeping warm this winter. But millions more are!

And why, should hard working tax paying people have to subsidy these payments, whilst the utility companies are laughing all the way to the bank. If there is going to be a winter fuel allowance then it should come directly from their obscene profits, in the form of a credit on the bills up to a set limit, with legislation in place to stop these utilities from passing this on to other customers. In fact this government would do well to learn from the French and implement limits on what these companies can charge.

Of course, as we all know, this will not happen, not here in Rip-Off Britain anyway.

CurlyWhirly 22:28 22 Nov 10

What I object to is that the energy companies always seem to raise prices around this time of year to maximise profits as people will have little or no choice but to turn on their heating to keep warm.

Also the energy companies are all too quick to raise prices when the wholesale price of gas rises but they fail to pass on the savings to the consumer when the wholesale price of gas falls.

As an example, over the last year, the wholesale price of gas has fallen by about 40% but the energy companies only dropped prices by around 10% on average.

wee eddie 23:46 22 Nov 10

This, of course, does not appertain to the poor pensioner sitting alone in her bedsit, wrapped in a shawl and spending her last pennies on a tin of Kitecat.

I know of many households who keep their homes at above 20'C and run their washing machine and dishwasher at least once each day. A little common sense and they could knock 30%, or so, off their Fuel Bill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced