Now I know why my insurance is so high.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 20 Jul 07

Just about to renew my car insurance, not at all happy about the quotes.

But having read this click here

I can see why Insurance companies charge so much if this is the lvel of driver competence we have in this country.

Totally-braindead 18:13 20 Jul 07

Its quite shocking isn't it. There was a test in the Forum a couple of months ago about road signs, I can't drive and I still got 20 out of 22 I think it was which was better than some of the drivers so I was pretty happy.
If people are really that bad at identifying signs then they should be made to sit their test again.

Si_L 18:32 20 Jul 07

I am 18, and just got insured today for driving. I accidentally put my birthday in as 1958, not 1988, which is a real shame, as the premium went from £590 to £190!

Stuartli 18:44 20 Jul 07

I've just cut my comprehensive car insurance cost down from £181 for renewal to £147 with another company, achieved by conducting my annual Internet search for the best quotes (from reputable insurance companies).

It means I'm back to paying a similar price to that earlier in the decade over a three or four year period.

Whaty 20:04 20 Jul 07

Si_L that is a very good quote. My eldest past his test last year at the age of 17, two months before his 18th birthday. He got a 'N' reg 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa Merit and, after a great deal of searching, we managed to get his insurance (worth pointing out that this was in his own name and not added to either his mums or my insurance) for £1600.. At 17 we were surprised at how many insurance company's wouldn't even quote.!

This year with 1yrs no claims bonus and two months before his 19th birthday, the best we could manage was still £880.!

Terry

Si_L 20:11 20 Jul 07

The quote i got was with Tesco, but I am not the policy holder, my mum is, I am the 3rd behind dad. The car is also a 1.0 micra, which helps to keep the cost down.

I had the same trouble as your son, with myself as the policy holder I couldn't find quotes cheaper than a grand and a half. If he was on your insurance then it would save money.

interzone55 21:16 20 Jul 07

I remember my first insurance premium, because it was £1 more expensive than the car I was insuring!

I bought an 11 year old Mini for £300 in 1991, I was 22 at the time and it cost me £301 to insure it Third Party Fire & Theft. Mind you we didn't have Confused . Com to do comparisons then, finding insurance involved juggling 3 or 4 pages of the yellow pages and spending huge sums phoning 30 or so insurance brokers.

spuds 23:11 20 Jul 07

There's still to many people who have no car insurance and tax on the roads nowadays. An article in todays Express states that this is increasing, mainly because 'younger' people are finding it more difficult to obtain insurance, so they just don't bother.

Personally I now use a number of on-line comparison companies, before making a deal.Always manage to get lower quotes. A well worth exercise.

Stuartli 23:35 20 Jul 07

Until you are around 24 to 25, the majority of insurance companies will load premiums because of their (expensive) history of insuring young drivers.

Forum Editor 08:26 21 Jul 07

that newly-qualified drivers should be limited to driving vehicles with a 1 litre engine for an initial period, until they gain driving experience. It was thought that this would reduce accidents and enable insurers to lower premiums a bit.

Stuartli 09:06 21 Jul 07

It's not really the size of the engine that's the problem, more the driving style - we were all young once and most of us will recall the madcap antics we occasionally got up to behind the wheel of a car.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017