Not strictly PC related, help appreciated.

rickf 14:19 07 Jan 10

I wonder if there are any DIY experts out there. If so can you pls give me info? I am thinking of putting thin cork tiles on the walls of the small room which houses the central heating boiler to increase heat retention. Is is safe or is it against health and safety regulations??
Many thanks

Al94 14:41 07 Jan 10

Definately not cork tiles. What sort of boiler? The aim is to keep the heat in the boiler so it should be properly insulated, if an old type without insulation you can get a foil lined jacket to wrap round the casing. Little point in insulating the room.

rickf 14:46 07 Jan 10

Hi Al94,
Thanks for quick response. It's also to hide the ugly surface of the walls. My question is is it against health and safety, can it be seen as increasing fire risk?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 07 Jan 10

By far the biggest sticking point to the widespread use of cork within the UK public or volume building industry is with Building Regulations. For public buildings the Building Regulations limit the amount of cork tiling that can be used as it is considered a fire hazard. However this appears to be something of an anomaly to the cork industry, and to the situation on the European mainland where it is widely used, as cork itself is a fire retardant, something that you can easily test yourself by putting a match to a natural cork. The thing that might catch fire is the binder or the coating, and careful design and manufacture and material selection for coating could avoid this risk. In the UK, the cork suppliers to the building industry are generally small independent businesses, and without major players to champion its use, question the current building regulations and conduct new testing, it is likely to languish in the doldrums.

from click here

wee eddie 15:24 07 Jan 10

What kind of Tiles can I put on the wall of my Boiler Room?

A quick Google gives a huge variety of Ceiling Tiles and other possibilities. Over to you.

bremner 16:10 07 Jan 10

If the room is a reasonable size then you could consider lining it with thermal plasterboard. click here

rickf 16:49 07 Jan 10

Thanks for all the considered points of view. The reason I cannot use plaster board is that I would have to rip out all the copper pipes first. The space between the pipes and the wall is very limited. I was thinkimg of cork tiles because I can insert them one at a time behind the pipes and on to the wall.
Ripping out all the pipes from the boiler which connect around the house would be a major job.

Forum Editor 18:40 07 Jan 10

you feel that insulating the walls of the room will have any effect on the performance of the boiler, because it won't - it isn't the boiler that should be insulated.

If you want to minimise wasted heat in a central heating system you should insulate any pipe runs that are under ground floor suspended timber floors.

Look at your pipes as though they are miniature radiators, for that's exactly what they are - heat from them is lost into the air through which they travel. If that air is beneath a ground floor the heat will largely be wasted.

Putting thin cork tiles on the walls of a room will have a minimal insulating effect - it will take several years before you've even recovered the cost of the tiles by way of reduced fuel consumption.

Pineman100 18:50 07 Jan 10

Increasing the heat retention of your boiler room with thin cork tiles will be close to useless, as a means of improving your overall heating efficiency.

You'd be much better off ensuring that any and all wasted heat given off by your pipework and hot water cylinder is minimised as much as possible.

morddwyd 20:21 07 Jan 10

I seem to recall, but don't ask me for a reference, that ordinary copper hot water pipe loses about 5 pence per year per unlagged foot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…