Not again

carver 09:03 29 Jan 09

I see that the nanny state has reared it's head again on it's views about drinking click here

How have we managed to survive for so long with out all this help we get about what we can and cannot eat, what we should drink and how much, how we should bring up our children, should we chastise them or just speak sternly to them that setting fire to a school or stealing is wrong,or that mugging them is alright if you have a drug addiction.

If you try to stop children from experiencing alcohol all you do is to make them want to try it even more, it's far better to control how and when they can drink than to make it into some forbidden thing that only older people do.

Both my wife and myself have brought our children up to understand than drinking is some thing to be enjoyed, not to get you legless.

My daughter at 18, only drinks about 2-3 vodka and cokes when she goes out, she's realised over about 6 years that it's nice to feel relaxed with a drink than to get *!@:ed.

Quickbeam 09:19 29 Jan 09

It's not just Britain, Northern Europe is of a drinking culture. Just because we go on holiday the the Med and see how their civilised cafe culture of little drinking goes, means we will adopt it here. Young Brits abroad proves that point... young Krauts abroad are just as bad, and a few other Northern Europeans.

I'm sure 20 years ago I was as bad. Now I rarely drink, when I do It's quality over quantity.

interzone55 09:31 29 Jan 09

Unfortunately the people who most need this advise will be the ones who ignore it.

My brother's kids all show signs of Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (click here) because their mother was plastered every night during pregnancy.

Yes, I drank when I was in my teens (from about 16), but I've never liked the feeling of being drunk, so have rarely drunk too excess, but plenty of my friends did. But I think things are worse now, partly because there's many more town centre bars than there used to be, and partly because drink is comparatively cheaper than it used to be.

A lot of people, girls especially, get drunk on cheap supermarket booze before they go out. That didn't used to happen...

DippyGirl 09:39 29 Jan 09

"Both my wife and myself have brought our children up to understand than drinking is some thing to be enjoyed, not to get you legless."

Which is how it should be. Educate them.

Unfortunately a lot of parents abdicate such parenting responsibilities to varying degrees.
Youngsters go out and get drunk and what happens? Nothing!
They know no better, nobody says you have transgressed - or if they (Police/Teacher/JoePublic??) do you can safely ignore them because you are bullet-proof. Why change?

The results are there to be seen.

Chegs ®™ 11:19 29 Jan 09

My parents made home-brewed beers & wines which we were given as children(about 5-7yrs)Not so much beer but blackberry wine with a generous splash of boiling water for keeping out the cold.I used to love invites to "bring a bottle" parties as a teenager because I turned up with a crate of beer & another of wine.I knew what happened when you drank either wine or beer to excess,yet "scout social evenings" for the parents were often scenes of grown men swigging back the beer & stating "I can take my drink" before staggering outside to pass out/vomit or just leave.

Take a wander round areas where teenagers tend to gather and your likely to find girls sat on a wall drinking some cheap wine,or a group of lads with carrier bags of beer cans...especially during the warmer weather.

I no longer drink alcohol at all,but allow my daughter a glass or two of wine on occasion(New Years Eve,etc)and she is nearly thirteen.

I've noticed several changes in attitudes to drinking from teenagers.In the late 70's,mainly boys were drinking over the weekend in "out of the way" pubs,during the 80's the girls were drinking spirits such as vodka + coke but most of the club goers were drinking water(maybe to try and counter the effects of drugs such as ecstasy)I was employed in various clubs during the 80's and early 90's,and wasnt allowed to drink alcohol so I would simply watch others in the club.

The more that the "binge culture" was mentioned on TV,the more that teens appeared to get plastered.As a cabbie,I used to dread the severely drunk teens climbing in the cab as they were invariably sick & girls in particular would be unconscious by the time I'd driven them home.I was fearful of accusations from these unconscious girls.

The Brigadier 11:54 29 Jan 09

About 10 years ago i went in one mighty bender after being away from home a while.
Drank at least one drink of everything that was in the pub!
Had a curry & then puked for 6 hours whilst my head was spinning!
2 of my friends on the same bender ended up in A&E with alcohol poisoning!

Nowadays it's a few glasses max.
Or the odd beer, but never more than 2.
NEVER want to feel how i did that night again!!!!

interzone55 12:48 29 Jan 09

click here

I think this sort of all you can drink for £5.99 deal needs to be stopped.

laurie53 20:22 29 Jan 09

Before anyone is allowed to have a drink of their choice they should be made to drink a gin and babycham.

Some fool bought me one of those "to settle my stomach" when I was a teenager. Fifty years on and I'm still convinced I've never felt so bad!

Put me off drink for three days, no mean feat in those halcyon days

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017