Not for the 1st time have I clicked a (skimlink)

dagnammit 23:05 17 Oct 09

link and ended up with something called "Total Security scanner" popping up and a warning from AVG which allows me to close it.

How long has PCA been doing sneaky redirections with "redirectingat dot com"?

The link it has happened with now is in the mobility scooter thread in Consumerwatch.

If you don't know what I'm talking about type SKIMLINKS FAQ into google for more info.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:16 17 Oct 09

You and AVG are totally over-reacting. The link takes you to a mobility scooter page (which is what the thread starter wanted so you could see what they were talking about). A good example of toal paranoia and lack of common sense. Mind you, a subscription service would ensure that the site remains free...I assume that you will be the first contributor?
G

Forum Editor 23:23 17 Oct 09

about 'sneaky redirections' until you know what you're talking about. The link you refer to is fine, and takes you to a mobility scooter site.

AVG did nothing at all - it certainly didn't go 'haywire' as you suggested in your post on the thread to which you refer. Next time you want to question our actions it might be an idea to email me privately, rather than jumping in with both feet.

dagnammit 23:39 17 Oct 09

"AVG did nothing at all" So I'm a liar? How can you tell that AVG on my computer didn't (according to you) throw up warnings?

My haywire remark was due to me having to click closed the total security scanner object, the AVG warnings and then me running ccleaner.

What I meant by sneaky is the hidden redirection placed on links posted by forum users, are you going to deny that aswell as calling me a liar?

dagnammit 23:40 17 Oct 09

If it meant a clean site then yes I would pay to use it.

Forum Editor 23:49 17 Oct 09

"So I'm a liar?"

You're just making it worse. I didn't call you a liar, or even suggest it, so stop getting all agitated. I said AVG did nothing at all because it's true. When I clicked the link AVG didn't react at all. Neither did my browser, and neither did any of the other security software that runs on any of the six machines in my office.

If you make one more reference to me calling you a liar we'll be parting company. I don't have to deny anything at all - I'm not on trial here.

dagnammit 00:08 18 Oct 09

That's how your post came across.

Agitated because of the hidden redirections and the malware detection from AVG. Couldn't really careless about a ban, it would hardly keep me away if I planned on staying.

lotvic 00:10 18 Oct 09

You appear to have an infection with 'Total Security 2009' or similar. That is what will be redirecting you.
I suggest you visit malwarebytes.org/forums to learn how to get rid of it. You may need to post a hijackthis log.

Forum Editor 00:18 18 Oct 09

stop being so offensive, and take heed of the good advice being offered by lotvic, rather than ploughing on wildly.

When you're feeling less aggressive you'll realise how you've totally misjudged the situation.

birdface 00:58 18 Oct 09

I will go 100% with dagnammit.Tried the same site and the first click here and got attacked by some virus that AVG stopped i hope.
So I hope the FE will close that click here before anyone else gets infected.
As for the rediectinat.com PCA has been using this for over a month now.
myself I don't like it because I am on a slow download speed And see it every time i browse for anything.But of course that is not the cause of the problem.
So dagnammit was not making it up there is a virus where he said.

birdface 01:06 18 Oct 09

Just checked AVG and it found the 3 problems.

1.Exploit Rogue Spyware Scanner 690

2.Exploit Rogue Spyware Scanner 830

3.Exploit Rogue Spyware Scanner 831

Now I am off to run a few scans before i go to bed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced