Norton and free Anti-Viruses

Jimmy14 21:19 07 Jun 06

This thread is carried on from the Slow New Pc thread in Helproom. I have hijacked the other users thread enough with answering to members questions they are firing at me so I will finish it on here.

Anyone that has opinions on Norton whether good or bad or your performance of your computer because of Norton feel free to post.

Jackcoms 21:23 07 Jun 06

I have recently uninstalled Norton AV (£30+ per year) and replaced it with Avast AV (free).

More than happy with Avast, in fact it does a more thorough (albeit slower) scan than Norton.

It also takes up a lot less HDD space than Norton.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:23 07 Jun 06

1) there is no reason for a home user to pay for any AV or spyware protection. Paying does not mean better protection. Use AVG/Avast.

2) Norton is a resource hog and although it seems to do it's job every computer that I have taken it off has speeded up.

3) some people can see no speed difference using Norton.

4) see #1

G

Jimmy14 21:29 07 Jun 06

I am referring to what you said in the "Slow New Computer thread in Helproom"

"These are mostly add ons or other incidentals that do not add anything to the basic protection the majority of users do not need or require."

So what your saying is resident shield exclusions, 24/7 support, advanced test properties and test result history are add-ons?
Resident shield exclusions seem very important to me.

Totally-braindead 21:32 07 Jun 06

Thank you for starting another thread Jimmy14.

Now you I think were involved in another thread last week and various people said that Norton is a bit of a system hog but if your PC was fast enough you would be unlikely to see it. But if you installed it on an old PC it would cause a noticeable slow up. You posted if I recall that it didn't slow your PC down but if I remember correctly both your PCs as at least a 3 gig speed. Soory but I can't remeber which thread it was.

Do I remember correctly? If I do and this is the case then I would not expect you to see the slow down the others have mentioned but if it was installed in an old 800 mhz PC for example you would notice it.

Now your comments were at least polite. Though I disagree with them personally but Mark McC and his rather offensive comments that anyone using a free anti virus were just too cheap and tight fisted to buy a paid for anti virus were just too much.

Jimmy14 21:35 07 Jun 06

I do agree with you Totally-Braindead but the laptop that I use mainly every day is a 1.7Ghz Centrino. I honestly dont notice any system hog or annoyance to other programs to Norton.

What I don't agree with on here is people who always suggest that it's always Norton that's the problem. They are always first to blame norton saying that it is a system hog, slows your system down and all sorts. I agree that it would probably slow down a 800mhz computer but so would any high demanding program.

Jackcoms 21:43 07 Jun 06

You say:

"What I don't agree with on here is people who always suggest that it's always Norton that's the problem. They are always first to blame norton saying that it is a system hog, slows your system down and all sorts"

"Anyone that has opinions on Norton whether good or bad or your performance of your computer because of Norton feel free to post."

Your statements are contradictory.

You asked people to post with their opinions on Norton and that's what they've done.

Make your mind up.

Totally-braindead 21:50 07 Jun 06

Ok I do see your point, but Norton does slow your system up I'm afraid. That is true. I must admit if you have a fast computer you probably wouldn't notice it but it would still be making your computer work harder. The comment about Norton taking over your system is also true to a certain degree. Yes there is a removal tool as you pointed out but why can't you just remove it from add/remove programs like anything else? If Norton removal wasn't such a problem to remove then they wouldn't have had to create the removal tools would they.

If you have Norton, have paid for it and are happy with it then fine, no problem.

I had a lot of trouble with Norton a couple of years ago and they refused to help. I pointed out to them about the support you mentioned and they said that that was for newer versions of Norton than I had. I said that I had been paying my subscription fees for the past 2 years and their answer was that that was to be able to download the latest virus definitions and did not entitle me to anything else.

Since then I've moved to AVG and am happy with it.

Jimmy14 22:14 07 Jun 06

I want people to post their views on here but what I commented on to Totally-Braindead was why people always post that norton is the main problem into forums if someone has a problem where their computer is going slow or something similair on other threads. That has nothing to do with on here

Jimmy14 22:19 07 Jun 06

Norton invented the uninstall tool for users because they were receiving so much problems by customers having difficulty removing their products.

I have removed norton from a number of previous computers and can honestly say that I uninstalled them from Add or remove programs fine with no problem so the people it does effect are unlucky.

User-312386 22:30 07 Jun 06

ok here goes

If you are a gamer like me you will find that Norton will slow your system down. It is such a resourse hog.

I have seen systems slow to a crawl and i mean a crawl. Even trying to uninstall the damn thing can be (and is) a pain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…