noisy printers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aprilian 18:02 13 Feb 05

Isn`t it about time we had decibel ratings on printers and other periphials my office sounds like the M 25 at 5pm on friday night. thank goodness for wire less phones so you can run out the room.
With technology getting closser in performance perhaps they should look at noise levells as a leveller,it would be nice to see some mention of noise levels in the reviews.

wiz-king 05:41 14 Feb 05

Know what you mean. We have to print off multi-part invoices on dot-matrix printers, when three of them are whineing away in draft mode and the line printer is doing a batch of reports it is a bot noisy. We have the solution - go to the tea room.

It's Me 14:01 14 Feb 05

I have the use of two ink jet printers. One is very nearly silent, the other sounds like a Centurian tank starting up and then running over rough ground. Both are made by HP. I wouldn't have known without using them, and where can you go to test out a whole set of different printers.

ade.h 22:45 14 Feb 05

That's a great idea, aprilian. As one who is always striving for the holy grail of a near-silent PC, I would appreciate that in product tests.

Fellsider 12:13 15 Feb 05

my office sounds like the M 25 at 5pm on friday night....

I thought that the M25 was at a near standstill most of the time. lol!

josie mayhem 15:40 15 Feb 05

Try sitting the nosiey printer on a thick piece of card, sometimes printers are nosiey because they are either vibrating or echoing though there stand.

In one of our offices (homecare side) the printer was so old, that when they printed the rosters out, the thing would walk, rattle itself across the office. The noise it made ment that any long runs of printing was delayed until after the office shut, becasue there was noway that you could hear anybody over the phone.

aprilian 16:32 15 Feb 05

Thanks to Fellsider for his "useful" comment.

Dorsai 18:49 16 Feb 05

We recently had a refurb where i work, and the oportunity was taken to move all the printers out of reception and into an area out back, where no-one workes. The printers are just a loud as they used to be, but there is no-one there to hear them. My Epson printer is not exactly quiet, but i dont use it that often, so am not bothered. My pc is on 24/7, and has 'quiet fans' and where possable oversized fanless heatsinks.

aprilian 22:17 18 Feb 05

Does any body know if it is illegal to throw a printer out of the window ? (I`m on the 5th floor.
If so then how can I possible vent my rage against these machines ?
It would be helpfull if any body has been through such an experiance, even mollestation of a modem or WMA file, could in thery land you in trouble. With the propossed perphial police protecting such items in the future, where do we stand ?

jakimo 23:55 19 Feb 05

A few years ago the non budget Epson printers listed in the specification a low noise motor,I assume this meant the budget variety were noisy!

wiz-king 15:52 20 Feb 05

Eh, when I were a lad, all printers had a sound proof cover made of plastic with a perspex panel in the lid, They were lined with what looked like a rought woven felt and reduced the noise of the printer a treat - made it almost impossible to ajust the printer but it was quiet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…